Author Topic: Leaf spots on tomato, early blight? Help!  (Read 1346 times)

amphibian

Leaf spots on tomato, early blight? Help!
« on: May 25, 2006, 19:06:19 »
I've never really suffered with diseases like I have this year, since the damp spell has eased off I have discovered that a couple of my tomato plants are infected with something, any opinions?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 20:27:56 by amphibian »

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Leaf spots on tomato - help.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 20:16:33 »
Symptoms:
Leaf symptoms of early blight are large irregular patches of black, necrotic tissue surrounded by larger yellow areas. The leaf spots have a characteristic concentric banding appearance (oyster-shell or bull's eye). 
Control:
Minimize wetting of the leaves by using drip or furrow irrigation. Infection occurs rapidly during periods of warm, wet weather. Fungicide sprays control the disease effectively. 

Try this site

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/leaves/index.html

amphibian

Re: Leaf spots on tomato - help.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 20:23:31 »
Yeah I was thinking either early blight or septoria, my main contender is early blight, very early though, isn't it? It also seems to have started on the youngest leaves.

Time to reach for the bordeaux, and when my sorrows are suitably drowned I'll reach for the bordeaux mix.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Leaf spots on tomato, early blight? Help!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 20:38:48 »
Shouldn't be blight yet and there isn't any real yellow tissue, have they not just got scorched on that rare sunny bit between the showers?
 ???

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 20:54:08 »
Shouldn't be blight yet and there isn't any real yellow tissue, have they not just got scorched on that rare sunny bit between the showers?
 ???
A bit more yellowing here, but not as vivid as in the blight picture, I don't think it is scorch.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 00:06:04 »
Thanks for that link Mike B.  I was about to panic about the small brown spots that have appeared on several of mine (no yellowing...yet).  Mine looks closer to bacterial speck.  Will have to point a hairdryer at them next time it rains.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal