Author Topic: getting there  (Read 5484 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:getting there
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 15:01:25 »
Well, you sure made it at last!!

Are those graves? Of all the folk who tried to break the back of it before you??= Tim
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 15:04:03 by tim »

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 16:22:02 »
It is indeed graves....of those who dare to mock our skinny plot !!

We had to do it the hard way due to the amount of brambles and roots.

Soon it will look nice enough...esp if i build kens space bubble
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 18:40:25 »
Hiya Fingle, glad you got the knack of the photos - they look great, but took a long time for them to reach me.  

Your plot looks in good order, although there are areas that need working on.   You will never get it perfect, there's always something to do, but that's the fun of allotmenteering.

Mine was like a builders yard when I took it over, and it's given me a great deal of personal pleasure turning it into an allotment.
Every best wish, Colin.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 18:43:58 »
Good on yer Fingle. I see brown among the green. I can see the work and sweat in there already...stick to it.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 22:06:18 »
Well done fingle - great pics :D  Looks like you've got your work cut out.  Look forward to seeing more photos as you progress ;) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 11:12:25 »
Any tips how we should proceed further ??

Thanks for comments !
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 12:50:43 »
Looks as though you have made  very good progress Fingle.  I am impressed by how hard you must have worked.  We are digging up grass and reclaiming an area, so I know how hard it is. I have been digging out bramble and there is nothing worse, those horrible thick knarled roots and the other finger size roots that seem to weave themselves into everywhere.

Next thing I would tackle is your soil, once you have done your digging. As in how fertile is it?  Might benefit from some nourishment, once you do a little soil testing. Then get something in there - the sooner you start cultivating it there will be less room for the weeds to start growing again, and plants can leave their own nutrients.  Also it is so satisfying to see something growing, a real morale booster after your heavy work.  Then, as I am sure all would agree, tackle the rest little bit by little bit - Rome wasn't built in a day!  You have done great so far.  :D busy_lizzie    
live your days not count your years

ScrumpyJack

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 12:55:32 »
 >:(  They weren't graves, but one of them may well be at the weekend, now fingle has seen fit to post a photo with me wearing my delectable woolly hat  :P

Tenuse, on reflection, and once my blood had ceased to boil and reduced to a mild simmer, I agree, it was a very generous carpet offering from our neighbour

Fingle, you may not be quite dead, seeing as I'm some distance away and my face is not showing

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2004, 14:13:03 »
If the carpets are backed with hessian they are not so bad, it is the carpets backed with underlay that are awful when they rot down. Maybe you could use them in between the beds you have dug and cover them with bark chippings or similar, to keep the weeds from growing back into the beds?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal