Author Topic: Wilkinsons Greenhouse - Ta for the tip!  (Read 10677 times)

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Wilkinsons Greenhouse - Ta for the tip!
« on: March 12, 2004, 12:08:51 »
I can't remember who posted it or what the thread was but there was mention of a 6ft x 4ft plastic greenie for sale in Wilkinson's for £29.99
My nephew managed to bag me one yesterday and it's just the job for the lottie!  Ta for the tip... whoever it was!  8)

AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
Re:Wilkinsons Greenhouse - Ta for the tip!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 10:51:43 »
Hate to tell you this but we went in Wilkinsons on Saturday and the greenhouses are now 1/2 price. So £15 for the 6x4 one and £7 for one of the three tier mini houses

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:02:19 »
I bought a flat-pack cold frame at Aldi last week for €22. (That's about 15 quid.) Also just finished making my own 3x2 metre plastic greenhouse on the plot.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 14:18:52 »
Hate to tell you this but we went in Wilkinsons on Saturday and the greenhouses are now 1/2 price. So £15 for the 6x4 one and £7 for one of the three tier mini houses

This interests me strangely... ::) ;D

Do they have a website I can visit to see where my nearest store in/around Brum is, should they have one? I've seen the full-priced ones at Wyvales, but reckon that at that price I can afford to turn part of my garden into Shed City :D - Lishka
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 14:19:52 by Alishka_Maxwell »

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 16:13:36 »
Can anyone explain what these are like (no just floor dimensons )
Is it a big cold frame or something you can walk into like a greenhouse ?
 Are they clear or opaque ?

how are they secured to the ground

----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 17:47:27 »
Hi All
Size 6ft x 4ft ish - walk in and has a plastic cover like the four tier mini houses in the DIY stores.  

Not very sturdy - narrow tubular frame won't last long - but worth a punt I reckon in anticipation of potential blight problems with the toms.

Has integral staging/shelf on one side of the frame.  

I'll be holding mine down with two VERY weighty paving slabs (need to get friendly lottie neighbours to help me move them!).  I figure I'll do something suitably allotment-ish with bubble wrap once the cover goes....

Great news about the price reduction - I'll get him to get me another one if they have it!!  There were only two left when he went in last week....
AC x

« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 17:48:05 by allotment_chick »

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 13:00:33 »

This interests me strangely... ::) ;D

Do they have a website I can visit to see where my nearest store in/around Brum is, should they have one?

They do... i found it on google!

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 13:10:45 »
I put my Wilkos greenhouse up last weekend...

Unfortunately this weekend we had some really strong gusts of wind and the plastic was literally whipped off.  Its still in one peice (almost) with a few holes that will be handy for ventilation!

My dad got 2 from Aldi, they have a strong green mesh woven into the plastic cover so he's had better luck than me with the winds.  I think they were the same price as the Wilko ones.

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 14:09:31 »
Ooohhh, hypnotised by swirly ken and abstract andi.......
Peas xx

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 09:01:58 »
Hey Andi - been mulling over the cover problem (especially after yesterday's blow!).  When I finally get mine up, I think I might adopt a cloche approach - in a couple of places, tie some polypropylene (thin) rope to the bottom frame, take it outside the cover, over the top and tie to the bottom frame the other side.  Do you think thius would work?
AC

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 13:46:01 »
The greenhouses were not supposed to be reduced. Our Wilkinsons had made a mistake as I found out out when I went in to buy another one. Still I'm happy I bought mine while they were showing 1/2 price. I've found the best thing to stop them moving or covers blowing and ripping ect is to peg the frame to the ground then I used an awning tie down kit, available in any camp shop. Even with all the gales we've had mine hasn't moved an inch

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 15:38:10 »
Thanks Miss B - I'll bear than approach in mind up the lottie!  Trouble here is it will be on a concrete base.

As y'all know I did buy the Wilko greenie for the plot, but I've decided my back garden patch needs a makeover, so I'm propagating everything in sight and I don't have enough sheltered spots here to keep it all in!

Bad luck on the second greenie - but I do love it when someone gets a bargain so well done on the first one!  I'll take a trip down the local Aldi and see if they've got one (it's nearer than Wilko's)

Have to say my little four tier growing house has been a star in this weather - I put a bag of compost on the bottom shelf (which is too dark to grow anything on anyway) and it hasn't budged so far!

AC x    8)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 15:09:28 »
We managed to get a 6'x4' plastic greenhouse from Tradex for 29.99 which included all the staging shelves as well.

Got it put up just before the big winds this last weekend but we put some grow bags in there on the stagings.....and it stayed in place.  Unlike some of the other sturdy greenhouses on nearby lotties....their roofs blew off :o :o

All in all we think they are ok for what we need and seem quite sturdy when put together.

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re:Wilkinsons Greenhouse - and now Aldi Growhouse!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 15:53:40 »
Just a heads up if you have an Aldi near you - they are selling a growbag growhouse for £6.99 - same brand as on offer at local garden centre for £12.99!  Would also be v useful for those growing toms or anything that likes it hot, in pots

AC x

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 17:10:40 »
Hi Folks

I tried the growbag thing on the shelves and its held the greenhouse in position.  I havent put the plastic cover back on yet...problem is I've got nothing to peg it into as its sitting in concrete (the whole yard is concreted unfortunately).  

I've been toying with the idea of using those cane clips to clip the plastic to the frame...

I cant wait to get it up!! (so to speak)

And...some good news from the council....
     ...following your advice on these pages I nipped in to the Council offices today and made a bit of a fuss about the waiting list for a lottie

They've given me a map of the site with available lotties and asked me to pop down and take my pick!!!!

How cool is that!!

So a big thank you to all who gave me advice!!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 18:23:57 »
Wahay Andi!  Great news and congratulations.  Now make sure you pick wisely.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 08:29:23 »
Well done Andi. ;D

It only took us 3 years of pestering the council (god knows how much it cost for all the phone calls) for us to get our lottie.

But it ours now and its great fun so enjoy it :)

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 09:26:55 »
Congratulations and well done!  :D
Beurocracy 0 - People Power 1  ;D
I look forward to seeing some pics of your progress
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 10:49:15 »
...and some pics of the greenhouse!
AC x

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 11:05:45 »
Morrisons now have the 6x4 greenhouse with staging for £20

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal