Author Topic: Do you run out of space on your allotment?  (Read 3180 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Do you run out of space on your allotment?
« on: May 07, 2006, 20:47:40 »
I took on my lotty in June last year.  It was overgrown and i dug and dug and dug.  I did get some produce last year which was great and i'm growing most my things this year from seed. 

I have planned my allotment out so i have four beds to rotate each year.  But already i'm finding that i could do with a bigger plot....has anyone else found this?....is it normal to want to plant more and more...or am i just an obsessed gardener?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: Do you run out of space on your allotment?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 21:11:12 »
dont worry its a common problem with allotmenteers,and theres no cure for it,you have to learn to live with it.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 22:33:34 »
You never have enough room!  Tis a painful affliction.  In the end I find I have planted in my paths and have to use a stepping stone method of walking around my plot.  I teeter and totter and frequently stagger about on tippy toe trying not to tread on freshly sown seeds or newly sprouted seedlings.  I have 2 allotments, and ran out of space about 3 weeks ago!  I made sure I marked an area for my sweetcorn, and I found last visit I made the space slightly smaller so I could fit in a row of beetroot!  I nibble away at the paths, plant in my compost heap and intersow and plant everywhere.  Then this weekend, just for good measure, the kids and I planted up lots of great big pots and tubs at home with carrots, salads, peas and wildflowers!  Like there isn't enough on the plot already!  Welcome to just one of the battles of owning an allotment! Tis blooming marvelous though!  ;D

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:48:18 »
This year I have discovered that there is definately not enough room for everything I'd like to try and grow!! And why is it that you always think your plot is bigger than you remember even if you do visit every day?... ;D ;D

I've got my name down for another plot, but I'll bet you after a couple of years with 2 plots I'll be after another!!

Quite addictive this allotment thing... ;D ;D ;D 8)

Louisa xx

KeithR

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:58:15 »
The worst part about it is when you realise that all your planning has been gone to pot because you have more seedlings than there is space left. Most allotmenteers are thrifty and hate waste so try to give them away but sometimes they have to go in the compost. What a waste!!!

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 13:17:07 »
I haven't got half way through the clearing on mine yet, and I'm already working on the best way to expand onto the emply plot next door. ;) Things are piling up at home waiting for beds to be cleared.

Sally

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 19:22:01 »
yes i have run out of space too
that'll teach me for growing too much garlic!

and i confess i dont have the porblem with putting surplu s onto the compost heap, tbh. although of course i do try and give plants away if i have too much. still, compost is never wasted...
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 19:46:37 »
It's nice to know i'm not the only one running out of space...perhaps i should have taken on a bigger plot?!

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 20:02:11 »
First year--carefully designed plan --all gone to pot, things are everywhere. Luckily managed to get another plot but needs alot of work but should get some stuff in it this year. 2 plot allotment holders who would of thought--will be needing a third by next year!!!!

plimsoll plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 20:03:09 »
I started with one plot 3 years ago after 1 year decided to take on another plot found it just to much with full time work as well so went half & half with a friend on plot number two , which has worked out well. ;D

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 22:45:40 »
It's a common affliction this, last year I cleared our plot...all 30' x 150' of it...struggled to fill it to be honest.

This year, 7 rows of new spuds, 800+ onions, garlic, 4 rows of maincrop spuds, broad beans, lettuce, carrots by the thousand....you get the picture!

What was too big is now just adequate!

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 07:08:04 »
yes  ;D

as described elswhere, col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 09:23:52 »
Space is always a problem, but it only seems to be for a short period, end of May through to the middle of July, for that is when the first potatoes are coming up, which yields space. This year I am away for the middle of July, so the potatoes will not be lifted until I return. However, I manage by keeping stuff in nursery beds for as long as possible, eg leeks, which can then occupy the potato space.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 16:17:50 »
I've filled a builders rubble sack with compost, manure and soil, put it on the path between mine and empty one next door and I'm going to try really, really hard not to let the butternuts trail over that plot, no honest I am!

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 19:46:59 »
I spend so much time at my lotty i don't get anything done at home...is this just a girlie problem or do men suffer the same?

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 20:07:20 »
I spend so much time at my lotty i don't get anything done at home...is this just a girlie problem or do men suffer the same?

I love this site. It's so nice knowing I'm not the only one ;D

Although I mentioned it at school this afternoon, and my neighbour said ' ooh, I'd love an allotment. How do you get them?'  ...

Sally

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 20:21:30 »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just an allotmenteer thing!! I decided that the cleaning/washing/dusting/hoovering will always be there, the seed growing season will not!

;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 20:59:22 »
This was mine this morning;

This is looking across my two plots;

This is looking up the one with most in;

This is looking down the same one;

Stuff waiting to go in...brassicas;

The peas ready for going in;

By this time next week, and weather permitting it will be fully planted out.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 21:15:34 »
We have five, but they are not all full size plots, so prob only really four. We are at that balance point between have we got enough space and have we got enough plants... You never can tell!
 :-\

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 09:50:20 »
We've started with our one plot this year and it's already filling up, by the time the polytunnel is finished (hopefully this weekend) it's going to look much fuller!

There are 2 empty plots next door to us and it's tempting to start on them too but the last people there left such a mess!

From experience allotments can take over your life. I originally got a plot of land at the end of the allotments for my horses (this was allotment land put aside for grazing only) and that patch has gone from 12 allotments to 5 acres over the last 3 years!!! The land isn't suitable for growing veggies and the gardeners were more than happy that I take it on since I've cleaned the area up and fenced the entire perimeter.

Now only if they were so happy about the goat  :o :o lol
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal