Author Topic: Aubergines  (Read 1501 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Aubergines
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:53:37 »
I have over the weekend read three pieces of advice re aubergines.  One said to pinch out the side shoots as they form.  One said pinch out the top to allow to bush out and the other said to do both!!  Surely if I do both it won't grow much at all in any direction?!   ???  Very confused.  First time growing them and am impressed at my success - so far - nice plants about 8 inches tall and with about four or five good true leaves.  They are in 5" pots at the moment and I thought I would plant a couple in half grow bags each and a couple on the plot to compare. 

Has anyone else grown them successfully?  And if so - pinch out side shoots or top (or both?!)

Thanks
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:55:06 »
Have half a dozen seedlings, and so will be interested to see replies - been told they like it hot though.

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:58:14 »
Jenny - yes I think hot too but as it's first time I thought I would experiment with various places in the conservatory, garden and allotment and see what happens.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:07:52 »
And another says limit to 5 fruit!!

I've heard what they say but I have never done any of those things. Nor do I salt them before cooking!! Heat? Ours are in a half shaded 'house at 650' in the Cotswolds. Heat??

We average 20-30 per plant. But God they are slow moving this year.

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:10:52 »
Thanks Tim - I don't salt either but up to this year (hopefully) that was supermarket aubergines which I was told are bred not to be bitter now - I did wonder if home grown would be ok not to salt - it's such a pain!  So no pinching out in any direction - great - one less thing to remember to do. 

Also had read about only 5 fruits!

Rain

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:19:26 »
Jenny - yes I think hot too but as it's first time I thought I would experiment with various places in the conservatory, garden and allotment and see what happens.

By putting bowls or buckets of water beneath plants you can create a much more humid environment. :)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:20:05 »
I let mine do as they want in the greenhouse, and I don't think they need salting either.

I discovered I like them best grilled on the BBQ though.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 12:59:20 »
This is my first year with aubergines, what height can I expect them to grow to?

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 20:12:15 »
Mine have never got that big 2-3' tops.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 16:03:36 »
same here derbex...and as a n experiment last year grew in the conservatory(door is always open -summer and winter-and its unheated...
and in the garden..no appreciable difference even being protected in theconservatory
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 17:16:18 »
I grew 3 plants 2 years ago in the greenhouse and didn't pinch them out at all and had a bumper crop - too much to eat in fact and ended up giving most of them away (discovered OH doesn't actually like them that much!) - so am not growing them again - they didn't grow too tall but I seem to remember they were very wide and crowded out my tomoatos a bit. My lottie neighbour grew them on her lottie last year, which is by the sea, on a hill and so gets lots of cold winds and they were fine

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 20:51:06 »
Thanks everybody for the info.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 13:03:21 »
Mine are very slow germinating this year.  I treat mine exactly as if they were tomatoes or chillis, and the toms are romping away while the aubergines and chillis are still hibernating underground. :-\

I've found aubergines quite easy to grow - the plants are about mid-size between the chillis and the cordon toms.  The picking one of those polished shiny purple fruits is really very satisfying.  8)

Mine haven't needed salting - I have made some wonderful curries out of them and courgettes and loads of coriander. ;D
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal