Author Topic: Repair of Water Butt  (Read 14133 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Repair of Water Butt
« on: April 29, 2006, 16:11:46 »
One of our plastic water butts has developed a leak at the seam on the bottom.  Does anyone have any idea as to how it could be repaired please?  We tried some mastic used for waterproofing flat roofs but it was not successful.   :(

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Repair of Water Butt
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 22:36:16 »
I just patched a 4cm diameter hole in a plastic water tank so I could use it at the lottie. I got some plastic sheeting (which was recycled from work - they get it in x-ray film packets) and went to the DIY for some glue. After reading just about every tube going, I settled on something called 'serious glue' which doesn't have any solvent warnings on and doesn't pong, is UV stable, waterproof and temperature stable over a huge range. Slapped the patch over the top and then stuck loads of weights on top so it had good contact (since the water tank was distorted due to the pipe that had been attached).

When it was dry (about a day), I fed more glue round the edge of the hole from the other side, to make sure it was sealed, then clapped another patch on the other side.

Not a leak in sight. So patched a hole in another tank too. So far so good.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:23:50 »
I use silicone sealent on mine -I think some has fungicide in so read the label.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 16:36:04 »
Thanks for your replies.  I will use some silicon sealant and then put a patch over it.  I haven't any plastic sheeting though but do have some pond liner.  Maybe I could glue that on instead.   :D

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 20:26:29 »
Anything watertight would do.

I think you can iron on PTFE if you're carefull -but I've never tried it, so don't blame me if you get an iron-shaped hole in your butt  :o

JohnnyLarge

• Not So New ...
  • Rotovator Motivator!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 21:15:33 »
I repaired mine by saving some of the shavings when I cut the top off, and melting them into the leak with a cigatette lighter. Been solid for two years now.
John :)
If at first you don't succeed, Think... Sod It, and find something else to do!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 23:33:26 »
Anything watertight would do.

I think you can iron on PTFE if you're carefull -but I've never tried it, so don't blame me if you get an iron-shaped hole in your butt  :o

That would be a good talking point.    :o  ;D ;D ;D

I repaired mine by saving some of the shavings when I cut the top off, and melting them into the leak with a cigatette lighter. Been solid for two years now.
John :)
What a good idea Johnny Large.  I could shave some of the plastic from the top of the water butt, heat it and pour it on.   ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal