Author Topic: Compost bin, nasty surprise... do I use it, or leave it?  (Read 1959 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
Need some advice, please.

Attacked my mum's compost area a couiple of weeks ago. Her rotting compost bin arrangement (wooden sides, divided into 3, old carpet on top) had been put up many years ago by a gardener, and was falling to pieces. She never seemed to get much compost from it, either.

Had 3 new big plastic compost bins - heavily subsidised by the council - ready to replace the current arrangement. Attacked & shovelled stuff in the old bin(s) to one side, trying to clear a spot to get the first new bin in place... and... what did I hit? Sulpherous sludge, and plastic. Not just a single layer of plastic either, but 3-5 layers of old builders bags, carefully arranged to stop the garden & kitchen waste from ever contacting with the ground! What an amazing smell. Got gloves before carrying on with the excavations.  Retrieved and burnt oodles of very slimy rose and shrub trimmings, and lots of other dubious stuff - stopped counting at 7 barrow loads - then shovelled the rest back into the new bins.

So my question is: Given that a lot of this 'compost' has been there for years, without much in the way of worm or drainage activity (although a few weird worms were meandering about just above the sewagey-sludge layer)... will it actually compost properly now that it is in contact with the ground and has some aeration? Or is it better to call it a day, and shovel the stuff onto her beds as a mulch? There are putrid grass trimmings (over a year old), some okay semi-composted kitchen waste, grey sludge, leaves in various stages of decay (more than one year's worth, going from the layers revealed in a vertical spade slices), and we simply tore the whole lot apart with spade and fork, and then tossed it into the new bins.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: Compost bin, nasty surprise... do I use it, or leave it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 00:17:46 »
:D :o :DHi Gadfium, if it was me, i would keep mixing it with some more compost, any other organic matter, like some shredded paper, cardboard, even straw, or FYM if you can, this will help to dry out the soggy mess, try to turn the mixture often as this will allow more air into the heap then encourage the pile to heat up, allowing more moisture to evaporate,
do you have you an allotment, if so dig a deep trench and place the mixture in and cover with the soil, then plant your runner beans on or over the trench,
hope this helps
windy :D
my allotment
heaven

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 10:06:55 »
It's organic matter still so it'll rot, under whatever conditions are convenient for you. Of course, air has to get to it. It sounds as though that was a nasty anaerobic mess with none of the oxygen needed for decomposition.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 15:14:58 »
No runner beans planned, so I'll shred more cardboard and paper and mix it well into the soggy mess!

Thank you.

:)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal