Author Topic: Runner Beans  (Read 3899 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
Runner Beans
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:55:30 »
Ok so now i have the bug! while i was down the garden centre getting some manure for my rhubarb(which went in yesterday hoorah)some runner bean seeds cought my eye & thought i could grow some from seed ? is which ones are best for complete beguiners ??? so many too choose from.
Light of my life!

rdak

Re:Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 10:07:42 »
Hi
I'm growing runners for the first time and I've chosen Scarlet Emperor -just because it seems to be popular and I saw it in lots of catalogues.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 10:15:00 »
Think 'stringless'?
And do you want red, red/white or white flowers?
Whatever you grow, you will enjoy! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 12:57:30 »
I'm with Tim, try to go for stringless ones.  Mind you, I grow alsorts of different ones cos they are dead easy to grow, just don't be too keen to plant them out before the weather improves as the frost will kill 'em dead.  You can get lots of coloured flowers, but I have to admit the red ones seem the most popular with the bees, but I had apricot coloured flowering ones last year, and they were really slow to start, but then gave us a huge crop right at the end of the season.  They love plenty of water, so dig in loads and loads of compost wherever you plan to grow them.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 14:58:58 »
I am trying a new kind this year. The packet said not only are they stringless but when harvested a bit too late they will stay tender. So, that may be another characteristic to look for. Once the harvest starts they go so fast that at times we are on the late side and I hate coarse runner beans.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 17:53:00 »
Any French beans?  Sorry, enthusiasts!

All best - Gavin

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 18:26:11 »
More so than runner beans! After trying several types, my favorite is a Dutch type named Rakker which means rascal in English.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 18:28:32 »
Now, French runners. Personally I keep seed for futer planting and for putting into stews and the like, thickens 'em up great! Others have told me not to eat them. Well, I'm still here! Does anyone else save seed for eating?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 10:20:34 »
Runner beans, I always grow one called 'White Lady'. As you can guess it is white flowered and produces a heavy crop of succulent beans. Mmmmm!  :D. Easy to grow too, just make sure you water and pick regularly.

Another thing, dont sow too soon, time sowing (indoors) so that they are ready to plant out after the last frosts in your area.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 10:26:52 »
Oh, so that's why you sent them to me, Ina?? = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 13:00:24 »
Ooo Ina, I have some of them too.  I love French beans almost as much as I love runners and have a variety, just waiting for the weather to improve so I can get them going, these I know I have to be patient for!

Runners I have - Weiber Rises, polestar, Hestia, sunset, scarlet, then 'others' I have  lazy housewife, mr fearns purple flowered, brittle wax (which is bright yellow) and dwarf french purple queen.  I like beans I does.

Ken, I left some on the plants at the end of the season last year so they could dry, and then bunged them in a jar, and cook 'em for a long long time in stew and they are delish....altho I have a feeling you are supposed to soak them overnight first.....Anyone  ???

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 13:10:13 »
You should soak dried beans before using them. They used to say overnight, but I think now the advice is for X hours (I can't remember exactly how long). If you soak them too long, they start to ferment (or something) and can cause tummy troubles.

I've forgotten the exact details (I am Mrs Vague today!)

But then, if it's worked well in the past, do it!
gone to pot :D

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 17:18:41 »
Then there is the climbing french bean, for example 'Blue Lake' I prefer these to runners.

But then again I prefer dwarf french beans better still.

The Gardener

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 18:18:50 »
I prefer the climbing french bean cobra. I have found it produces very well, better for me than the blue lake, which I tried for a few years. My runners are always  doanated by my 80+ year old gardening friend, called Stenna strain. They are lovely and long and rarely tough! He has been growing then for years and will grow no others!
 I grow as many french beans as I can, love em! The purple podded ones are a novelty, shame the revert to green when cooked :-(  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 20:20:03 »
Oh, so that's why you sent them to me, Ina?? = Tim

Does that shoe fit Tim? You rascal hahaha.

EJ, did you say that you have Rakker french beans? Where did you get them? I thought one could only find them in Holland.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 22:28:03 »
Hiya Ina, they were a gift from someone who me thinks received them from you in the first place.  ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 15:03:53 »
Could very well be. I sent to several people ......... of course I wonder who shared with you hahaha.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal