Author Topic: seed question  (Read 2336 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
seed question
« on: March 10, 2004, 14:01:24 »
Why do some seedlings not want to drop the old seed cases, and should you remove it?  Some of my tom seedlings still have the case holding the 2 seed leaves together and the new 'true' leaves are struggling to come through and almost look distorted.   Thanks oh wise and wonderful ones.  ;D

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Re:seed question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 14:04:51 »
Oh I think I read something about that on the tomato website someone recommended on the produce board the other day.  Will see if i can find it again!!

Sparky

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 17:19:20 »
Courgettes & cus are the worst for that. Right or wrong, I always ease the case off - if it seems willing! Otherwise, I'm sure nature wolud take it's course. = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 09:26:00 »
Mine have been doing that too. I find they come off very easily with careful use of the finger nails - just pick them off - doesn't damage the plant.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 09:26:41 by aquilegia »
gone to pot :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 10:00:45 »
I read/heard somewhere that this happens when the atmosphere is dry, and a more humid atmosphere will prevent the problem. Is theis true? If so i dont think my seeds know about it, since the atmosphere in my propagator is quite damp (having to wipe the cover down regularly to remove excess), yet many of the seed cases are staying resolutely on the leaves of the seedlings.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 17:05:13 »
I keep a cheap pair of tweezers at the ready for such occasions, saves causing damage with my big finger and thumb.

Hold the seed leaves with one finger and thumb and pluck the seed casing off with the tweezers in the other hand.

The Gardener

jethro

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 12:44:51 »
If you spinkle a little bit of fine 'silica' sand over the top of the seed tray it pulls the seed case off when they grow through with it's abrasiveness (big word for me eh?)  ;D.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 12:59:30 »
Pressing problems eh ??

----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

jethro

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 13:08:02 »
 Hi Fingle, Only with the extreme ironing   ;D ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal