Author Topic: Is it time to start off melons?  (Read 2509 times)

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
Re: Is it time to start off melons?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 22:10:27 »
i have both the ideas under experiment as we type !

is anyone planting there seedlings through black plastic ? as i read this greatly helps them with soil temp too and of course the weeds down,
Just to spoil them Melon shed one is under construction (ok its a cold frame !) but i figured if these creatures require a reasonable temp them maybe even in our reasonable summer with the black plastic on the ground warming there feet and a bit of a jocket (the cold fraame) they should nearly do aswell itll be just a fine balance of keeping that warm draft circualting !

carl
another member of i forgot my password

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 08:54:25 »
First signs of Sweetheart germination, three plants showing, just crossing my fingers and toes now ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 09:59:34 »
Sent for my melon seeds last week from the Real Seed catalogue.  Has anybody used their seed before?

They are "seraching for the ultimate early melon. "

Have ordered "Collective Farm Woman" - an old Ukranian variety ...said to ripen in Moscow and keep for several weeks after picking..sweet crisp flesh.

I will let you know how it survives in the East Midlands.

Flossie ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 10:58:09 »
I'll be interested to know, since I was looking at their melon page the other day. I'm trying them for the first time this year; I've been putting loads of their seed in, and so far everything's germinated well apart from the sweet corn, which was eaten by a mouse.

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 11:54:23 »
i have both the ideas under experiment as we type !

is anyone planting there seedlings through black plastic ? as i read this greatly helps them with soil temp too and of course the weeds down,
Just to spoil them Melon shed one is under construction (ok its a cold frame !) but i figured if these creatures require a reasonable temp them maybe even in our reasonable summer with the black plastic on the ground warming there feet and a bit of a jocket (the cold fraame) they should nearly do aswell itll be just a fine balance of keeping that warm draft circualting !

carl

I always plant through black plastic with good results - as you say it keeps the weeds down and warms the soil.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 11:58:29 »
I found a great tip for keeping a constant supply of water to plants, very similar to yours Carlos.  Basically you take a plastic bottle, make a small hole in the bottom, and sink it into the ground when you plant your seedlings.  You just fill up the bottle and it gradually waters your plants.
I was going to give it a go this year.

Tip was from 'Lasagna gardening' book,can't remember author at the mo'

And I was going to plant my squashes, and melon (if I can get some seed) through black membrane to make use of the area I haven't dug over yet!

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 12:08:40 »
you could try a short length (couple of inches) of seeper hose per bottle - the stuff that just releases a constant series of dew-drops  :'( :'( :'( :'(  along its length.

You'd need to make sure it is well sealed at the open end though!
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 13:36:36 »

Is that John Yeoman's 'Lazy Kitchen Gardener'? Corking book ;D

amphibian

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 15:23:33 »
I've got some waiting to germinate in my propagator, they will be moving to a cold frame later.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 15:30:29 »

Is that John Yeoman's 'Lazy Kitchen Gardener'? Corking book ;D

No, just googled and it's by a Patricia Lanza.  Haven't finished reading it yet but picked up a couple of good ideas from it.  Like the sound of John's book though  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 15:35:21 »
Wow, a whole book on it! How can I resist? On my Amazon wish list, thank you sweet-pea  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 16:15:08 »
Oh well if we are going to talk about super sprout`s   melons. Not too easy outdoors where we live-but a cold frame could make all the difference. Train one stem to each corner.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 19:33:41 »
Thanks for advice on melon growing conditions in the 'hood cleo 8) Will you be growing any yourself this year?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal