Author Topic: Rhubard - whats happened to it?  (Read 1184 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Rhubard - whats happened to it?
« on: April 19, 2006, 16:00:54 »
It is planted in a tub and was growing nicely with another pot over the top but since taking it off its started dying and three stems have gone to mush. Do you think the frost has had it and now its dying?

Justy

• Hectare
Re: Rhubard - whats happened to it?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 17:52:55 »
sounds a bit like mine.  It is growing in the ground but very very puny looking and floppy soft stems and yellowing leaves.  I don't know for sure what the problem is with mine but I have a feeling it may be a bit waterlogged as my soil is like a clay sponge.  Have you got plenty of drainage in the pot?

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 14:22:58 »
As Roseyred's in a tub, and Justy's is sitting in wet soil, possibly the frost has got to the roots ??? 

Mine is out in the open in well-fed (just behind and downhill from the compost bins!) and only slightly heavy soil & has survived & thrived in spite of the coldest winter in years.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 14:50:24 »
One of my rhubarbs is showing signs of some strange disease / attack - it looks like something has been scratching at some of the stems and removing the skin.

Any ideas?
"I grant indeed that fields and flocks have charms,
For him that gazes or for him that farms."

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 17:37:52 »
It is planted in a tub and was growing nicely with another pot over the top but since taking it off its started dying and three stems have gone to mush. Do you think the frost has had it and now its dying?

I'd be surprised if it was frostbitten, unless the pot over the top was well-insulated and you were in effect forcing the rhubarb, then abruptly stopped, thus exposing the forced stems to the weather.

Are you sure that it's got enough to eat?  If you didn't manure it last autumn, then a quick sprinkle of a mixture of nitro-chalk (4 parts) and sulphate of potash (1 part) around each plant will help if applied now.

Justy's plants with their yellowing leaves also sound malnourished, although I guess the crowns could be rotting if they're waterlogged.

It's kind of difficult to kill rhubarb IME!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 17:48:13 »
I agree, almost impossible to kill bubby!  I have known people plant it upside down, (you know who you are  ;)) and still it thrives!  Mine has flourished even after frosty mornings and snow!  Curious.  I think Melbourne could well have the answer - you have created warm dark growing conditions, the plant grows very very soft and weak, then you remove the bucket and the plant has just got shocked.  Potentially new shoots will emerge and grow on and be fine.

Be careful when feeding bubby.  I don't really understand all the wheres and whyfores of feeding and fertilisers, but I gave mine a lovely thick top dressing autumn/winter 2004 and my harvest for 2005, altho great, tended to be short stems and HUGE leaves when you really want the reverse.  Winter just gone, I ignored my buuby plants, and I have been pulling stems as long as my arm and they are sweet and juicy and fab!

Slugs will chew away at the young rhubarb stems, and I have a feeling earwigs will also.  I haven't known mice or other furry critters eat it as it isn't very palatable until cooked in a crumble!  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 17:56:00 »
Glad to say mine are looking good.  I put a good dressing of manure around them in the autumn and then really ignore them and they seem to prosper.  I agree with the consensus,  it is probably the contrast in conditions and once they aclimatise should pull around. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 19:49:01 »
Yup - same as BL, and mine is thriving too!

Debs

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 21:34:38 »
Thanks for the replys. I'll leave it in the pot as it was going down to the allotment once I decided where it was going to live and if they don't really die then it will come back to live when its ready. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal