Author Topic: when to sow - what can't wait until last week in april?  (Read 2172 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
when to sow - what can't wait until last week in april?
« on: March 08, 2004, 18:29:50 »
lucky lucky me i am away from 2nd april until 27th april so i either have to sow stuff now and stick it out in a sheltered bed under fleece to fend for itself if it can't be sown directly before then, or i have to wait until the last week in april to sow the seeds.

here is a list of what i hope to try and grow (this year is try everything and see what works year) can anyone see anything here that cannot wait until the last week in april or later to go in?

turnips, beetroot, peas, sugarsnaps, swiss chard, tomatoes, courgettes, kale, carrots, lettuce, leeks, marigolds, pak choi.

everything else is already started or needs doing later like runner beans.

any advice gratefully received, thanks!

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
Re:when to sow - what can't wait until last week in april?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 19:54:31 »
Do you know Legless, I was discussing this sort of thing with my wife today.   We sowed Radishes at two week intervals last year, and they seemed to be ready all at the same time.   In other words, the early ones sowed were slow to mature, while the later ones matured that much quicker.   If there are frosts whilst you are away (you lucky soandso) you will not be available to help them, even if you do put fleece down.  

Personally I would wait till I came home, and then have a marathon sowing session.
Every best wish, Colin.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 20:47:33 »
Me too everything seems to catch up.It's still very cold up here frost and snow are forecast for the end of this week.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 21:12:30 »
Hi legless

I'd be tempted to sow a few beetroot, chard, lettuce, kale, leeks before you go?  And sow some more, and the rest, when you come back?

But I wouldn't worrry too much about sowing late - like everybody else, later sowings catch up andoften outdo earlier ones.

Catch both sides of Hugh's "The early bird catches the worm - but the second mouse gets the cheese"!

All best - Gavin

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 23:03:51 »
Legless, I have the same prob, as shall be away till 18th! My plan is to have a marathon plant the day before we leave, then leave it all for my sister who is looking after our house to worry about! :o (not going to be a happy sis!) Well, it will be exciting to come home to, and it means they will have 3 weeks without me poking prodding and overwatering them  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 13:29:31 »
yeah thanks everyone, i think i'll sow a few as suggested by gavin, but then most when i get back, so i don't have all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

i don't have a handy watering person so that's why mine will have to take their chances under fleece!

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 14:50:16 »
legless, while I quite agree with all the above (especially Gavin  ;D), I think I would at least get a row of peas in before you go, but in your situation using a round seeded variety such as Fortune or Feltham First.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 09:27:35 »
i will try and get some peas in too.
thanks all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal