Author Topic: Colour of potato shoots  (Read 2057 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
Colour of potato shoots
« on: March 14, 2004, 15:42:33 »
I was reading some of the postings on the bbc message board(that will teach me to look else where!) & they were talking bout the colour of the shoots on chitting potatos. Now i`m worried mine arn`t normal :-\. They`re a dark greeny/brown with little stubby roots forming. Please tell me that is normal ???.
Light of my life!

Hugh_Jones

Re:Colour of potato shoots
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 15:52:30 »
If you ask a number of people to define precisely any colour, you will get just as many slightly different descriptions. Prompted by your enquiry I examined one of my (very healthy) Nadine shoots under a magnifying glass, and detected several shades of green, with touches of red and brown and purple.  What you have described sounds perfectly o.k. to me.

You shouldn`t take any notice of all you see or hear on the BBC - it`s even worse than the newspapers.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 16:23:57 »
When mine first arrived in Jan from Chase Organics, some of them had long whitly spindly shoots - I asked on this board and was advised to get rid of these.  I did so and they've now got lots of lovely stubbly shoots - some green, some purple, and some really dark brown - I have give different types and they all have slightly different colours.  I saw that thread too - if it was the one where the person was advised the seeds had been frost damaged?  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 16:43:03 »
I have green shoots, purple shoots, red shoots and kinda browny greeny reddy purply shoots.  I have heard you can get talc from the chemist for such problems  ;D ;) :P ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 16:53:23 »
My red pots' shoots are purply-red; the white ones are blacky-green to green. Does that help??

We won't confuse the issue with the triffids I showed earlier - they're planted! = Tim

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 21:07:33 »
 ;D my mind is at rest thank youxxx
Light of my life!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal