Author Topic: Jam or wine from frozen fruit?  (Read 2392 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Jam or wine from frozen fruit?
« on: April 18, 2006, 10:41:38 »
I was asked yesterday if this was possible - said that I'd no idea, but I was sure I knew people who would 8)

Fruits in question are blackcurrants and redcurrants.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Jam or wine from frozen fruit?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 15:16:11 »
Jam - definately.  Recently done raspberry.  YUM!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 15:30:36 »
We (Anne really) make a lot of our jams from frozen fruit. Still got lots of Damson puree from 2 years ago waiting to be jammed.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 15:37:04 »
Thanks a lot, both. I'll pass this on to the friend - together with some frozen black & red currants :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 16:01:06 »
I cannot see any reason why the thawed fruit could not be used to make wine. The resultant texture of the fruit is irrelevant, and I gather the taste and sugar levels are the same. The decision as whether to make jam, wine or both must therefore be a personal one? I presume pectin is not a problem with these fruit? If it was, conventional treatments exist.

I will confess to being envious (rare for me - envy, not confessions :D), as I don't have access to copious amounts of fruit.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 22:42:41 »
I have made jam from frozen blackcurrants in the past with no problem. I heard at the time that frozen fruit actually made a better product, the theory being that freezing breaks down the cell walls, releasing more liquid. I daresay the difference would be marginal and you'd have to make a batch of each side by side to notice.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal