Author Topic: Silly Rhubarb Question  (Read 2051 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Silly Rhubarb Question
« on: April 17, 2006, 18:55:01 »
Hi all :)

I inherited a big rhubarb plant and they are ready to harvest (the very first crop in my plot).
This is my first rhubarb plant and I am going to cook them for the first time (really excited ;D).
My question is, can I cook the whole stem? The part of stem close to its leave looks quite green. Am I supposed to remove the green bit??? I heard scary things about the oxalic acid in the leaves so don't want to risk it, but don't want to waste the rhubarb unnecessarily.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Silly Rhubarb Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 19:05:19 »
Cut the stem just before it branches out for the leaf, then you will be fine. The amount of oxalic acid present in the stems is quite small, and is not a problem unless you suffer from arthritis or consume vast quantities of rhubarb.

Good luck and enjoy your produce !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 19:09:44 »
Thanks curry! :)

Glad to hear I can use the whole stem. The plant (actually a clump of several plants) is huge so I should be able to cook lots of rhubarb crumble, pie, jam, etc. ;D ;D ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 19:47:58 »
And don't forget wine if you are so inclined. Or a rhubarb trifle instead of fruit in the bottom ... or perhaps something from the following  ... ?

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html
The impossible is just a journey away ...

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 21:22:41 »
Oh my.... never seen so many rhubarb recipes!!  Thanks Curry - that's rhubarb recipe heaven that is :D

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 21:37:28 »
Wow, fantastic web site! ;D You are a star, Curry!  :-*

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 22:14:45 »
What a great site ,Curry ! Made rhubarb fool at the weekend, but with sugar free orange jelly for the diabetic amongst us and soya cream for the lactose intolerant ! Both versions were delicious.How I love rhubarb. ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 22:46:50 »
The amount of oxalic acid present in the stems is quite small, and is not a problem unless you suffer from arthritis.

Are you suggesting that if one suffers from arthritis, one should not eat rhubarb?  ???

mat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal