Author Topic: 1st asparagus  (Read 4213 times)

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
1st asparagus
« on: April 17, 2006, 21:00:46 »
Hi all, picked my 1st shoots of the season on sunday mind you only 2 were ready, few more prob next weekend,still better than nowt.Mine are now in 5th year.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: 1st asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:06:32 »
Amazingly early? We get our first about 7 May.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:15:00 »
Having planted six off one year old crowns (Marte F1) earlier this year, and sowing seed to increase my stock (Martha Washington?), reading posts such as this has me dribbling. Please continue ...  :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:17:40 »
We also had 2 shoots yesterday. Agree that it is very early - usually May - can't remember cuttiing it in April previously. Mine is at least 10 years old.

A farmer nearby put his aspagarus for sale signs up in the last weekend of March - he does try to extend the season by growing a number of different varieties, though.

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 13:49:33 »
I've got one shoot through  :) I've been watching very closely as the crowns are in a relatively wet bed and I didn't think I'd added enough sand to the soil to help with drainage etc .... so I was very pleased to see the first shoot on Sunday.

We are looking forward to our first camping trip of the season in Norfolk at the end of the month, even more so now there's the possibilityof early asparagus - yum, nothing better than asparagus cooked on a camping stove, with lemon, butter pesto and gnocchi..

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:56:41 »
:'(  :'(

No sign of mine yet........

:'( :'( :'(
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 22:09:51 »
Nor me.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 13:55:08 »
East Sussex: I planted male hybrid crowns five years ago (tried seed - too variable) and had wonderful quantities last year. Six or seven shoots were just starting to show yesterday.

I expect to pick from late April in a normal year, and last year was able to take a reasonable amount to my sister's 60th birthday party in time for 1st May, which fixes the date in my head. This year is very late for all sorts of things, and I was surprised and delighted to see the small shoots.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 16:53:42 »
Still no shoots showing on my well established bed - normally get something by now!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 16:57:56 »
Well you can only be patient ! Four, possibly five of my six plants are showing shoots now. They look extremely fragile though ! I am reluctant to go anywhere near the bed.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 17:00:53 »
just to rub it in picked nother 6 today,dont worry jen theyll come on.Ones i thoght id lost are starting to grow now.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 18:35:00 »
mine are still in the tray waiting to be planted !!!!!

butjus on one theres a little shoot coming out !!! wouldnt feed a mouse like but its there
another member of i forgot my password

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 21:45:46 »
Not far behind Grotbag!
Should be cropping well by midweek!
May your wee smell go before you!! And all of us!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 22:50:43 »
How many asparagus crowns are needed to produce a worthwhile crop?

I've never grown it, but think that I should start to consider a bed...I just wondered how much of an investment it will be?

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:35:29 »
Mine is in the 4th year from seed, don't know when or can I pick them? Are thet strong enough to pick yet?

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 12:51:29 »
Picked one yesterday had it for my tea. Put it in a cup and zapped in the micro!!!! This is my third year so hoping for good things this time!!!!!
Marigold

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 13:33:59 »
Ours are still hiding under the good coating of manure we gave them in February.

Mind you, with the weather being as it has been,, I'm not too certain that I'd be looking to get out of bed early  ;)
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 13:42:42 »
Mothy I  put in nine crowns from Wilkinson's of course. But they should be there for 25 years so they say.
Marigold

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 14:10:27 »
Mine are starting to emerge, but then I only bought them a few weeks ago so all I want this year is some growth.

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 18:42:57 »
I planted my asparagus crowns late Friday afternoon and on Sunday I had shoots above the ground :o shame I can't eat any for the first year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal