Author Topic: Sweetcorn and toilet rolls.  (Read 6587 times)

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
Sweetcorn and toilet rolls.
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:49:56 »
I have read a few posts about growing sweetcorn and understand this is to avoid root disturbance.Does this mean I plant the toilet roll tube out? How do you prevent the soil washing out when awaiting the plant to be big enough to plant out?
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

Motherwoman

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sweetcorn and toilet rolls.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 12:53:09 »
Stand 'em in a seed tray SF
My idea of a good time is a new seed catalogue to read.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 15:55:42 »
... and the roots will hold the compost in when it settles. They will look something like this:

When it comes to planting time, you can make holes a little deeper to support the plants. The toilet rolls will just rot away.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 16:04:25 »
Make sure you plant the top of the toilet roll below the soil level or it will act as a wick and syphon water from the plant - if they are too high, you can tear the offending bit off.

I use old plastic drinks cups rom work. They near drainage holes. So I stack half a dozen (it depends on the length of your drill bit) or so upside down and drill 3 quarter inch holes in the bottoms

Phil

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 18:27:28 »
I use plastic cups too for sowing various seeds.  To do my drainage holes I hold a screwdriver in the flame of the gas ring, and melt them through.

It's quite good fun actually.  ;)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 23:44:34 »
Thanks all and thanks for taking the trouble to put up a pic much appreciated.
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

David R

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:00:27 »
if you are fortunate enough to have saved enough kitchen rolls, these can be stood in a large plastic pot. I have 15 in a 12" pot.  Kitchen rolls have the advantage of double the root run, and less disturbance.

Oh, and by the way, the rolls (toilet variety, kitchen or otherwise) will go mouldy after a few days. Dont worry its normal, they will last intact until you plant them outside!

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:13:05 »
I've used one of those tough, reusable supermarket carrier bags for mine.  Filled it up with kitchen roll middles so they kinda supported themselves really, and then planted away....  Rolled down the sides a bit, so the air can get to them, and its really easy to pick up and move if I need to :D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 18:07:53 »
Now that IS classy citychick! Are they available in a variety of colours to accessorise with different gardening outfits? 8) ;D

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 18:38:24 »
LOL!! ;D  Well, yes I guess they are, but you might have to shop around to get the perfect match ;D ;D ;D

Okay, truth is.... it was late at night, was still sowing seeds in the kitchen, had used all the trays, tubs etc I could lay my hands on, and just had the sweetcorn left to do.... I was desperate... It was just the sweetcorn that stood between me and beddie byes....  ::) ;) ;D

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 21:18:08 »
I keep those square plastic boxes the aerial washing liquid tabs come in - they are nice and tall enough and will hold 6 toilet or kitchen rolls - if they are not being used as cloches that is!!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 23:09:34 »
i use the deeper trays you get chinese takeaways delivered in - you know, those see-through plastic microwave-able reusable pots. make excellent seed trays, propagators etc etc
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 02:06:48 »
I love sowing sweetcorn, as always get excellent germination!!  As with Phil, I re-use plastic cups from work, and as I order them, I always go for the very tall ones!!!  :D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:20:47 »
I have just checked my sweetcorn and the roots are coming out of the bottoms of the toilet roll tubes!  Should I do anything or just leave them to run rampant around the bottom of the tub the rolls are stood in or plant them straight out?  Will they survive being transplanted outside as the roots will definately be disturbed when I do it?

Aaaarrgggh stress!!!  ???

David R

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 11:45:24 »
can you roll up some newspaper, slightly bigger than the toilet rolls and filed with more soil then slip the rolls into the top?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 12:07:09 »
i wouldnt stress.
they might not like it, but they will have to rough it
that's my antra anyways - and i didnt have any problems with plants last year. if anything, they might be a little slow to take off after transplanting.

my sweetcorn is showing root, too, but.....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 12:13:04 »
If you haven't already started you could always try used tea bags in the bottom of the loo rolls to use as a 'plug'!! ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 12:17:12 »
It sounds as though you may have started them a little bit early - they shouldn't be planted out until the threat of frost has gone away, the end of May here in Hampshire.

The info maybe a little late for this year. I normally sow mine about now

Phil

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 13:44:12 »
Thanks for the advice guys, I will try not to stress too much!  I will create little newspaper extension rolls on the bottom and then plug them with tea bags!   

Phil,  I only sowed them 4 days ago, they just seemed to instantly germinate and while the tops are only just starting to unfurl their first leaves there are roots everywhere!  :o

I might move them to a cooler room to slow them down a bit!

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 15:24:19 »
Sowed mine last weekend (Hampshire as well) so aiming for mid/late-May once hardened off.

How about planting where they are to grow in the rolls/whatever and covering with plastic/polythene? Saves any further disturbance but depends on where you are I guess.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal