Author Topic: Dahlia Cuttings  (Read 1522 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Dahlia Cuttings
« on: April 12, 2006, 09:40:11 »
I lifted the tubers of my one Dalia pant about two months ago and have had them sat in very slightly moist compost in my greenhouse ever since. As far as I understand they will produce shoots which can be removed and used to propagate new plants. My worry is that there is still no sign of any shoots! Any tips on how to encourage the tubers to start growing again or how long I should expect the shoot formation to take? I guess it has been very cold up until now (even in my greenhouse!) so maybe that is slowing everything down a little :)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Dahlia Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:42:46 »
A bit of bottom heat will help move things on a little, might be worth bringing them into the house for a week or so.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 14:05:15 »
Thanks Jerry, I'll give that a go!

My house is barely warmer than my greenhouse though - maybe I'll try to get my cat to  sleep on them at night to give them a spot of incubation! I wonder if I could put them in the sand in the bottom of my heated propagator underneath my seed trays for a while to get them going... Might that be too hot / damp?

Trevor.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 22:14:37 »
They do need a little warmth now to get them going, Sunny window??.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 20:49:48 »
I left my dahlias in boxes of compost in the shed over winter, then brought them into the porch in February. A  month or so later they started to grow. I took some cuttings 10 days ago, which I have placed in a propagator in a warm room. I find they root easily.
Don't put them in direct sunlight though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal