Author Topic: Planting Asparagus-help!  (Read 2812 times)

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
Planting Asparagus-help!
« on: April 10, 2006, 14:28:09 »
Please help.

I've got 10 lovely asparagus crowns that have been sent as 1 yr old, have composted the earth as its quite sandy in patches, and very free-draining and have dug my trench.  My questions are:

1. Does the trench need to have a mound on which each of the crowns are sitting higher that the roots and
2. do any of you have any tips at all on growing asparagus? ???

Hoping you can help
Hippychick
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Planting Asparagus-help!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 14:35:51 »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 14:50:56 »
Thanks for that.

Have kept my poor little babies in the pack they were sent in for a week.  Am planting them tomorrow with the help of 4 yr old and puppy- wish me luck!
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 14:58:28 »
I ordered 10 crowns ages ago and they were supposed to come late march/early April but no sign of them yet. 

Can I ask how big your trench is.  What are you allowing between crowns?

Thanks
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 15:07:04 »
The trech is just over a foot wide and I'm allowing about a foot between each crown.  I've got Connovers Colossal so am hoping to need alot of room for all those lovely spears ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 15:12:37 »
Trench probably about 12 inches wide and 8 inches deep. Make a sort of inverted v shaped mound approx 3 inches high in the middle. Place crowns on ridge and spread out roots either side. Cover. Then as spears grow keep covering until the soil is back to normal level. If you plant deeper you'll get fewer but thicker shoots.

Have a look at http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,17950.0 there's some good photos there.

i allow 18 inches between crowns otheres suggest more. See other threads (Curry's suggestion and mine above) for more info.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 16:29:25 »
This is what my asparagus bed looks like (for what it's worth).

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 16:40:54 »
Has everyone who ordered asparagus received theirs?  Should I chase - I think it was Suttons.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 16:41:32 »
Can't do any harm Amanda.

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 17:33:25 »
I ordered from 2 different companies.  One's arrived already, still waiting for the other one...

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 20:08:31 »
Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago they are Eros 2 year old crowns.
Put them in this weekend, soaked the roots for about 30 mins, dug out trench 12" wide and about 10" deep and in the bottom i put some manure then raked some soil back in to make the mound which i covered in some compost before spreading the roots over it then more compost on top then covered with soil and watered in.
My theory is they are going to be there for a long time so make sure the bed is weed free and they have some 'food' in the bottom.
water them through the summer and around August give them a feed to boost them but dont touch them till the 'ferns' turn yellow then cut back and pop some compost or very well rotted manure over them for the winter :)

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 22:58:10 »
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, from Tuckers.
Who planted all these weeds?

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 09:29:57 »
Thanks for all the help.  Am off to plant them right now.

Some of the spears have already begun to shoot so will plant as suggested then cover them up?

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 09:56:27 »
We put more in last weekend (now have 30 plants)and sprinkled a mixture of sand and salt (used for gritting) ontop as they are supposed to thrive in salty/sandy soil. Also they like a dressing of seaweed in the autumn.

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:43:48 »
Any suggestions as to the best place to get seweed from?  We live in the Midlands.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 13:04:37 »
well, other than a daytrip to the seaside.... You can buy it in powder form. I think we got ours from Marshalls, although it's not v cheap!

David R

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 13:18:58 »
a foot apart might be too close together, they grow enormous roots, like shrubs once they get going. better 2 feet apart if you have the space. Mine are about 18 inches apart, but my new plot at home is going to be asp heaven, pampered to 2-3 feet apart so i can have monsters on my plate hopefully.

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 14:35:17 »
Do they prefer a straight row or block - I have 10 on order so wasn't sure whether to do all 10 across the plot in one row or maybe two rows of 5?  I have emailed Suttons today to chase - however as rain is forecast for a few days now, I'm not sure I want them turning up!!  No pleasing me!   ;)

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 14:42:58 »
Any suggestions as to the best place to get seweed from? 

Hastings  :) :) :)
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 17:23:27 »
We planted some crowns last year- think they were 2 yr old ones. Didn't harvest anythingn & cut down the foliage. What should we be doing with them now? There are just the "sticks" showing above the ground, no new growth.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal