Author Topic: Planting Asparagus-help!  (Read 2815 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Planting Asparagus-help!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 17:29:30 »
I think probably add manure on top of the trenches. I believe you're meant to do it in autumn but I would think now is OK too.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 18:03:02 »
I don't think there's ever a bad time to put manure on, but be careful it doesn't rot the shoots as they come through.

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 18:09:51 »
I would be inclinde to top dress them with either seaweed granuals or chicken pellets and a top dress with some fresh compost, the spears will be starting to stir under the soil now so try to avoid putting anything to heavy ontop :)
Loads of manure in the winter to keep them warm and happy :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 19:13:16 »
They haven't been protected at all over the winter- hope they will be ok.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 07:39:36 »
no protection required, the underground parts are as hardy as a hardy thing.

To Amanda21; Personally, I prefer a single row as they have less competition on 2 sides, in blocks, they have more neighbours. However its all down to choice really, if blocks are more convenient, then so be it, as long as they are a good distance from each other they'll be fine.

Remember, there's no art to growing asp afterall they grow wild in the most unhospitable places, i know of a good specimen on a railway enbankment, and another on a rocky cutting next to the M25!

To caroline7758, you dont say what variety, but I would leave to grow this year unless you have really strong growth, and wait for some fat spears in 2007. Yum Yum.

I like asparagus ;D can you tell?

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 23:23:57 »
Makes your pee smell though!!  ::)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 23:24:47 »
Allegedly ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 08:28:29 »
and here was me thinking tthat the only good thing about veg was it kept you healthy-i didnt realise there was novelty value too!
i shall look forward even more to my asparagus now! ;)
Makes your pee smell though

kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 17:02:36 »
Can I just report that I have finally managed to get my asparagus crowns planted this afternoon - feeling much relieved - I just hope they grow!

Can I just ask another question.  I have put them in a trench and covered with a few inches of soil - I know I just keep covering as they sprout through but how long to I do that for - just until they reach the ground level?  I ask only because looking at my neighbours asparagus bed he has mounds above ground level?
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 20:35:38 »
In the Veg and Herb Expert it says that you should keep covering the asparagus until the the bed is level in the Autumn, but mine are already about a third of the way up.  Am a very confused gardener!!  Although I must say when I had no idea what I was doing (not that I have much more now)!, I just planted some asparagus like you would a bedding plant, rarely weeded roung them and they grew fine.  Persistent little plant!
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 20:59:54 »
i'm hoping to put my asparagus next to a raised bed. the bit i'm i'm using is about 14" wide and 2.5m long. as it is right next to raised bed, and a reply earlier on said they have big roots, do i need to partition deep down to stop roots from entering raised bed area?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal