Author Topic: Sown sweetcorn yet?  (Read 3934 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Sown sweetcorn yet?
« on: April 02, 2006, 22:41:54 »
Well, have you?  I am in Essex (in case I haven't told you enough  ;)) and thought with the urchins off school, and not really being able to get to the plot, I could sown them.  To early?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Sown sweetcorn yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 22:45:21 »
I'm in West London and was planning to do mine in loo roll tubes next weekend and plant them out mid/end May - their final planting position has yet to be cleared ::)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 23:17:38 »
So far I have only sowed some old seed, that would have got thrown away anyway. I intend to sow this years fresh seed (Kelvedon Glory) this coming week ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 23:31:20 »
Hi EJ,
planted mine in toilet roll tubes 2 weeks ago. They are in my greenhouse at the moment, no sign of life as of yet.
Will keep my eyes on them as my first year at trying to grow my own plants, will keep notes for future reference.
DD

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 23:46:08 »
Hope to start mine off this week,   am using a combination of brand spanking new seed and seed I saved myself last year.   With luck I should get something through.

By the time they're ready to go out into the big wide world I should have decided on their final planting position(and finished getting their bed made).

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 23:49:00 »
I sowed some of mine a little while back.  But they were part of the group of trays that got tossed about a bit when my plastic greenhouse went walkies in the wind.

I sowed 12 seeds, and so far have only 4 germinated.  I think possibly the seeds fell out of the paper pots when the tray got tipped.  Going to do some more tomorrow.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Roof

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 00:07:44 »
Hello EJ.
I sowed some baby corn and ornamental corn about a week ago in plug trays in the greenhouse, but no sign yet.  ::)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 00:46:10 »
I have sown Tender and True and Ovation. The second sowing was a few days ago in a warm propagator. The first sowing gave about a 70% germination within a week and the second about 80%. They are now growing on in a cold greenhouse. Slugs have eaten two, but I should have enough to plant out in early May, weather - and slugs - permitting.

It will be my first attempt at growing sweet corn on my small veggie patch, so it will be very interesting. I shall place 9 plants in a block and my friend is giving me space for a further 12 plants on his patch.

Tricia

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:05:26 »
I have no more indoor space, and it is forecast to drop to -2°C this week, in my area. So I am going to hold off. Hopefully this will be the last of winters tantrums.

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 08:11:39 »
Sowed mine as well down here in Hampshire this past weekend while the showers were being a nuisance.

Will germinate indoors rather than in poly-greenhouse as temperature still too low out there for good germination.

Can anyone clarify whether it really is bad to sow differnet varieties together? Have heard that with the super-sweet varieties, cross-polination messes them up.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 08:20:16 »
Hi EJ :D

I sowed mine yesterday (sunday) in a mini-propagater in my allotment potting shed. Most of my planting will be done over the nest two weeks whilst I have time regardless of what it says on the packet.

I`ll see later if I still have a rat problem in the shed.  :'(

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 09:00:48 »
Not yet. Hopefully it'll be going in later today. That'll probably trigger more complaints from OH about turning the house into a second allotment!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 10:22:45 »
We sowed ours a few weeks ago in cardboard toilet roll tubes and they are looking good.  We planted ours out quite late last year and they ran out of steam because of the weather, so we thought we would give them a longer growing season this year.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 10:58:19 »
last week, 8 kernels - am going for staggered sowing.  All out in mini-greenhouse ready to be brought in for the next few nights to stay warm.  No sign of life so will be kept in for longer to coddle them into sprouting. Fingers x'd!

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 10:59:57 »
Hi all I started mine yesterday up here in sunny Edinburgh, done half the pack (20) in roottrainers and the others two to a 3" pot. I always start them kinda early as our season aint as long as those of you further south. Iv'e never had full cobs the three years been growing them any Idea's and I usually protect as well.
jock

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 11:23:51 »
I haven't had much luck with early sowings in a cold green house. I might start some inside this week -give my daughter something to do- I also find that I want to sow them shallower than recommended.

I'm also going to try a couple of sowings this year, as I know the later ones do well and it spreads the season out.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 12:00:31 »
How do you plant them in toilet rolls? do you just balance them all in a tray or put the roll in a pot? is the idea you then plant out the tube with the plant?

Was planning on starting mine soon. Maybe next weekend.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 12:09:53 »
Silly question but if you plant sweetcorn successionaly wont it reduce the chances of pollination due to the corn flowering at different times?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 12:12:50 »
.... Iv'e never had full cobs the three years been growing them any Idea's ...

I never had good cobs until a lady on our site told me to earth up around the base of the stem. I always do this now, a good heap about 6 - 9" high when the plants are about 2 ft high, always get good cobs now.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 13:31:59 »
Glow,

yes and no  ;D

I'll look to plant 9 - a dozen each time, and I'm hoping to plant 2 different varieties so I don't want them to cross pollinate. I'll try the supersweet first and hop to beat most other on the site to it. I'm on the SW side so I'm in with a chance. I may put runner beans in with them too -it's worked in the past.

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal