Author Topic: it's not easy being green.  (Read 8333 times)

Vez1

• Half Acre
it's not easy being green.
« on: March 28, 2006, 21:54:05 »
Did anyone watch this on BBC2 tonight? It's about a family becoming self sufficient, it was really good.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: it's not easy being green.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 21:57:52 »
>:( >:( >:( >:(

d**n and blast....I forgot!!!! Grrrrrrrr

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 22:03:41 »
I missed the first couple of minutes, I remembered when flicking through the channels.

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 22:53:11 »
It filled me with envy.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 23:21:19 »
yes, really good - much better than expected - even engaged 13 yr old son

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 10:51:46 »
Yes I saw it. It's that ex army bloke off Scrap Heap challenge.  Couldn't help but think of when I first saw him and his scrap heap team a few years ago building a cannon to blow something up!  Amazing what he is putting his engineering skills to now.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:52:48 »
That's where I know him from! I thought it was great, very funny as well.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:00:41 »
I struggled with it because of the facial hair I'm afraid, seemed to have a life of it's own and I couldn't work out  how he ate anything. :-\

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:14:01 »
Maybe it does have a life of its own and he takes it off at mealtimes and sits it up at its own little table to eat.

I'll get me coat.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:59:07 »
I really loved it, kept switching back from the football (missed both goals). Wonder if he is that cheerful all the time? If so I could learn a thing or two from him. What a major project. At least he wasn't a stereotypical hippy tree hugger (no comment on his wife!) - ex army, drives an Audi etc - but what about the permaculture chap! Straight out of the 70s ... groovy.
I will finish it, one day

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:13:34 »
What a fantastic and inspiring programme.  I banished OH to conservatory to watch the footy - not sure I should be mentioning second tv on this thread  ;)

I would love to be like that but unfortunately OH is allergic to the Countryside after about a week.  Darn it.  Still, I can dream  ;D

beckbeck

• Not So New ...
  • my allotment
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 13:41:02 »
I really wanted to watch this ,took the kids to bed at 7.30,fell asleep with them,woke at 9 >:(,missed it :(,is it a series or a one off?Iwas reallly looking forward to it ,now just want to see the bloke with the strange beard  ;).
Becky x

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 14:15:33 »
It's a giant scary moustache the size of a small dog  :D

Don't worry, it's a series, and I daresay eventually a DVD - I'm buying it!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 14:21:11 »
Yep, excellent programme and an absolutely astonishing moustache! Didn't half make me feel guilty about making a coffee though - all that wasted power! :o

Cheers,
Rob ;)

ps. anyone fancy lending me half a million quid so I can go and be self-sufficient in Cornwall? No? Thought not... :'(
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

sallylockhart

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 14:33:22 »
I loved it  - although it is perhaps a bit beyond most of our reaches (not sure I'd wanted a 7 bed farmhouse anyway - might get lost :)

I liked the cardboad bed idea - and OH very much liked the idea of a waterwheel (thank goodness there is no stream in our garden ;) )

looking forward to the arrival of the piggies next week!

I didn't like the moustache though -  it has given OH ideas about cultivating his beard in a similar fashion. hmmmm ::)
"I grant indeed that fields and flocks have charms,
For him that gazes or for him that farms."

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 18:44:33 »
in the indy today they said 'nobody seemed to notice you could house a small family under that 'tache' or something similar. Unfortunately i didn't read the full review and now someone has taken it home from the office.
the tache was bigger than many a cottage thatch.

I've really tried to be cheerful today as a result though: most people are wowed by the green dream, I just wanna smile more:0)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 18:46:48 »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0563493461/203-0312469-1587131

looks like a book is in the pipeline, or should I say, aqueduct

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 19:09:26 »
Crap.. I have the horrible feeling it was set to be taped, but we decided to watch that and tape something else. And then we forgot to watch TV last night.

Bah!

Definitely sounds like good watching, though..

Melanie

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 20:29:43 »
I think that it is a great idea and in our own way, i think that most of us on A4all have committed to the green idea. 
In reality tho' this show is not reality ~ if they have approx £500,000.00 debt (mortgage for the house) how will they be able to afford all that marine ply, booze for the workers and hey, did anyone notice that most of the workers were their kids friends, is this employment on the cheap?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 20:43:27 »
Very good entertainment value, but not in this real world!! I would love to be able to have a lifestyle like that, but how many people can afford it . We "downshifted" two years ago, due to husbands ill health, have very little money,but still do our bit. we now have two allotments, have sold one car, walk to places if possible, and reuse and recycle where ever possible! Verdict!! you don;t need  all that money to be green!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal