Author Topic: Now that Britain is in ecological debt  (Read 4636 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Now that Britain is in ecological debt
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2006, 22:01:13 »
There was wife-beating night every Friday as well, when the men came home drunk after getting paid. I think every generation has its bad side.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 13:34:02 »
MrsKP  have been re-reading the article, quite thought provoking.

"Lifestyles in Britain are becoming increasingly unsustainable and are placing an ever larger burden on the global environmental system."

The UK's food self-sufficiency has been falling steadily for more than a decade, and indigenous food production is now said to be at its lowest level for half a century.

Playing devils advocate, one could say that inflation causes consistently rising salaries to allow one to live the affluent life!!

However, from a self sufficiency point of view, I have recently been reading Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall 'The River Cottage Year'

He is passionate about seasonal cookery, shopping and cooking in tune with the seasons of the year. 

It certainly gives some meaning to why and what we grow ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 15:19:43 »
i keep wondering what's going to happening when fossil fuels supplies are so low
that they won't be able to fly in stuff like "tenderstem sprouting broccali" or those dinky little packs of pre-cut ready to steam "even an idiot can cook this" winter veg from kenya... will anybody still know how to prepare food, let alone grow it.

if there's one thing i'm determined to teach my kids it's how to cook  for themselves (after they've got the hang of it, i'll teach them how to iron for me!)

Tabbycat

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 19:41:42 »
i keep wondering what's going to happening when fossil fuels supplies are so low

Will things be so bad when we do run out of them, I have a feeling that we might become better people without them.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 19:43:07 »
(after they've got the hang of it, i'll teach them how to iron for me!)

in a bid to conserve energy i gave up ironing many moons ago  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 21:00:55 »
wish i could too but have a shirt obssessed husband - has about 70+ in the collection and still growing!

as much as i am trying to change our lifestyle he's still indulging himself with shirts - not a good exmple to my daughters (5 & 3) - they already have strong opinions on what to wear!

tabbycat

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 22:04:00 »
there's always my other well used phrase "you want something ironing darling, you know where the iron is!"

the ironing board is currently by the living room window as "staging" and that's where it will remain until the g/h has been finished.  i don't think that's much of an incentive to him tbh.

:-[
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal