Author Topic: Potting on (very) indoor tomatoes  (Read 1251 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Potting on (very) indoor tomatoes
« on: March 24, 2006, 13:36:15 »
How big should I let my tomato plants grow before I pot them on? I've got a couple of harbinger tomato plants on the kitchen windowsill; they're currently about 6 inches tall and pretty sturdy looking in their 3/4" pots (can't remember exact size). I am vaguely planning to keep them indoors as I started them in January just to have something to do, and I have another 15 varieties to try outdoors. But will they eventually need pots the size of spaceships?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

ann hunter

• Quarter Acre
Re: Potting on (very) indoor tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 14:46:52 »
I am not an expert but the danger is that they will either become pot bound or overbalance when they get top heavy.
In the past I've moved them into a slightly larger pots at this stage and then into final size when the weather has warmed up abit (in the greenhouse that is)
when the going gets tough..........

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 19:53:19 »
I wouldn't worry too much about tomatoes becoming potbound, last year (my first) I sowed mine (Gardener's Delight and Marmande) in January, much too early, and they sat in used drinks dispenser cups until May, looking very sorry for themselves. The roots covered every square mm of the pots.
A few people commented on how poorly they looked (including me dad), but I transplanted them regardless in May, planting them as deep as the second leaves (and removing the first).
I had a bumper crop. As soon as they were put in proper soil they recovered marvellously.
There would be no problem in potting them on, but I would plant them a little deeper every time you do.
I think the most important thing, though, is not to keep them at too high a temperature, otherwise you may need a ladder to harvest them..... ::)

Oh, I'm no expert either, so feel free to disregard  ;)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 16:16:33 »
They will need a good size pot and I would suggest potting them on now if possible. Im sure the would be find seeing the late spring we've been having in staying for another 3 weeks perhaps. Dan :-)

p.s- My tomatoes have only just greminated, oops- late again!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal