Author Topic: Hazel  (Read 1769 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Hazel
« on: March 24, 2006, 14:44:33 »
???

Was thinking about growing a bit of Hazel on the plot, for future pea and bean sticks etc. Has anyone tried it? Is it possible?

???

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Hazel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 15:55:29 »
The squirrel near home does a good job of growing it buy burying nuts. It is pretty easy to grow to be honest.

Collect some nuts in the autumn or take hardwood cuttings in spring/early summer.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 16:12:33 »
Yes, its very easy to grow.  We have a communal area of hazel on our allotments (planted to provide pea sticks), managed by our field committee.  It was planted about 9 years ago as 2 year old plants and we coppiced half the shrubs for pea sticks last year (for the first time) although we now think it would have been better to have cut the shrubs right down at about 5 years old and they would then have made lots of new growth from the base.  The plants we coppiced last year will be ready to cut for pea sticks again next Jan/Feb as they have made a lot of new growth.  If you want bean sticks, then you have to wait longer - probably about 8 years from cutting down.  Its been having nuts for about four years and the squirrels 'plant' these and those they don't find come up as small saplings.  We potted up quite a number last Spring and will use them to plant another area of hazel when they are a bit bigger. 
We think its very worthwhile.  The hazel shrubs we didn't coppice have been very pretty, with beautiful catkins, and they provide nesting sites for birds.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 17:44:20 »
There's a two-page feature on using native wood incl. hazel rods in this month's Garden Organic magazine. I wonder if jeanaustin's allotments are the ones mentioned as producing their own coppiced plant supports? Loads of great photos and ideas.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 00:37:37 »
;D ;D ;D

Ooooh...am feeling alll encouraged, positive and ecologically sound now, thanks lots!!!

;)

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 06:19:51 »
Hi Supersprout!
It isn't our site featured in the Garden Organic magazine but its good to know other sites are doing this too.  And its something we'd recommend to other allotment sites, its ideal to plant on a perhaps awkward shaped plot (which ours is on).
Our hazel plantation is part of our wildlife area and we have several woodland plants (snowdrops, bluebells, wood anemones, violets, wood rushes) underplanted, plus a pathway through, so its a very attractive area.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 16:52:02 »
Yes even thogh I can cut them myself at work (forester), I have a hazel bush and a purple filbert in the garden. We use them for aviary bird perches, plant supports or substitutes for garden canes.
I even had a few nuts last year that the squirrel did not get :D

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:47:12 »
If your going to plant a Hazel, why not plant a truffle-hazel?

Nuts, pea/bean sticks and..........truffles!!! ;D
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal