Author Topic: Daffodils  (Read 1949 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Daffodils
« on: March 26, 2006, 03:43:31 »
On my allotment I've got an area that I've got a lot of daffodils and tulips growing for cut flowers. If I want to use the same area later in the year for growing veg, is it best to lift the bulbs June/July, or can I just plant things amongst them?
  The bulbs are quite close together in rows and don't know whether they'd compete for nutrients or whatever with something else I grow. Can anyone advise?

Thanks. :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Daffodils
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 16:32:14 »
Hi CC.  Come June/July your bulbs will be dormant so they will not compete with other plants for nutrients so I say leave them in and plant in between if there's room.  But then I'm lazy!   ;)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 19:44:01 »
I too grow tulips for cutting in rows. The first lot should be ready by the weekend I hope.

Last year I left the bulbs and planted chrysanthemums between the rows and it worked fine.

This year I will be doing the same with another flower crop.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:21:27 »
Thanks Georgie and Sandersj89!

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 16:24:19 »
If the bulbs are planted quite shallow then it may be best to lift them when they're dormant other wise there might not be enough space to plant the veg, especially root crops. Mr Titchmarsh says that most varieties of tulip are best replaced each year!

I would also suggets giving the area a really good feed to put any nutrients gone back in. All the best and happy growing! Dan :-)

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 17:29:38 »
Hi common_clay, I've no experience of growing veg., but I know that daffodils like potash & don't like too much nitrogen in the soil, so this might effect what else you could grow there if you're wanting to plant veg. in between them.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 17:56:44 »
Ok, thanks a lot Juliet, might put peas or beans out of the picture then!

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 17:58:57 »
If the bulbs are planted quite shallow then it may be best to lift them when they're dormant other wise there might not be enough space to plant the veg, especially root crops. Mr Titchmarsh says that most varieties of tulip are best replaced each year!

I would also suggets giving the area a really good feed to put any nutrients gone back in. All the best and happy growing! Dan :-)

Hi Dan, thanks for the tips... when you mentioned about Alan Titchmarsh, when he says 'replace', does he mean with new bulbs each year??! That would cost a fortune.
  What is a good feed for something like this? Many thanks.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 17:40:14 »
Hi CC! Yes, he means spend a lot each year- replace with new! Checkbooks at the slope!

I would suggest using a sprinkle organic feed OR some liquid seaweed which is good for almost everything! Hope this helps, Dan :-)

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 18:06:56 »
Just don't put anything high in nitrogen (eg chicken pellets) if you're leaving the daffs there.  I just sprinkle potash in between mine & water it in (after they've finished flowering) but if you're growing veg. there they might want more variety of nutrients.  Liquid seaweed only has trace elements, apparently, so I'd agree with Dan 2 - most things - including the daffs - should be happy with it.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 02:47:20 »
Thanks everyone, most helpful. :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 14:35:47 »
We grow for exhibition so want the best and we feed with Vitax Q4 in February, this helps with the colour of the flowers and then with the buildup of the bulbs for the next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal