Author Topic: Time for filters/pumps yet?  (Read 1822 times)

fluffygrue

• Acre
Time for filters/pumps yet?
« on: March 22, 2006, 17:50:42 »
Hm, is it still too early to switch the pump/filter back on? I was out in the glorious sunshine today and realised it seemed ever so quiet without the waterfall.. Pond hasn't frozen in a while.

Has anyone turned theirs back on yet? (We're in Manchester)

Melanie

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Time for filters/pumps yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 16:16:44 »
I never turn mine off,but then again i don't have a waterfall.It is not a good idea to have a waterfall in winter but i used to lay the pipe directly into the water instead.Keeping the water circulating through the filter means you don't have to start from scratch again in spring,and also helps stop the pond from icing over so much.

No it is not too early to start the filter and pump,especially now it has turned milder AT LAST!! i was beginning to think global warming was just a figment of someones imagination!!
Margaret

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 21:09:46 »
Margaret

New pond up and running November last year, have left pump and waterfall on during winter. When I did turn it off for short period pond almost froze over so restarted. I am in the south. Is it in case the waterfall freezes or is there another reason for not leaving waterfall on.I cleaned out pumps yesterday for pond and fountain, was surprised at amount of debris.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 22:14:13 »
Hello Lady.The reason for not leaving a strong waterfall on with a good drop into the pond is because it tends to make the surface water and all around too cold.Now that sounds strange as opposed to it freezing!! but too much movement unsettles the fish when they are dormant and fairly immobile throughout the winter.As i said,it is better to leave the pump running but bypass the pipe down the side of the waterfall and have the flow going back into the pond but underneath the surface so that there is not too much splashing.The main reason  for a waterfall is to provide extra oxygen,very important in hot weather but obviously not so in winter.

Yes the debris stil collects even when you are not feeding fish over the winter.That is why i have always kept my filters going then you keep a low level of bacteria ticking over,ready to pick up again when you start feeding.
Margaret

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:29:27 »
Yup, due to the nature of our pump/filter it was easier to turn it off rather than re-route the filter water into the pond without the waterfall. Also, circulating the water without the waterfall still kept the water pretty nippy at the bottom. We figured the fish would be happier a bit warmer!

But mm, may be time to start things going again now.. yay for Spring!

Melanie

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 18:28:56 »
I turn my filter off in winter, rather than risk the UV tube cracking in ice. I will have to turn it back on shortly as we have a LOT of spawn - & can't those little Bs C***!
JeremyB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal