Author Topic: shallow marsh area as a continuation of the pond?  (Read 1807 times)

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
shallow marsh area as a continuation of the pond?
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:22:46 »
Hi all,
      I am very lucky in that i have a large allotment at the side of a running brook.I built a pond about 4months ago - approx` 10ft long x 5ft wide x 2ft at the deepest point,to nothing(beach areas).I am considering putting another liner adjoining the pond to create a type of marsh about the same size again,to attract even more wildlife,approx` 12inches at the deepest point.

Any thoughts?Any advice please?

Regards,
                                Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Re: shallow marsh area as a continuation of the pond?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:53:41 »
Sounds ideal for a bog garden. Make sure that water / soil from the two don't intermingle, as you need low fertility in the pond & quite high in the bog garden. Depending on your soil, you will need to make perforations in the bog garden liner, so that it never fills up & overflows, but drains very slowly. In a clay soil you will need quite a few holes, in sandy soil, one thrust of the garden fork will probably suffice.
If it can be sited near to the beach area of the pond, you will find that all sorts of small wildlife take refuge in the bog garden plants before going down to drink or wash.
JeremyB

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:37:17 »
Sounds like a good idea.  Its what I did when we dug our pond a few years ago.  It gives another area in the garden to try out different plants  (more growing/buying opportunities ;) )  It would be an idea to put it at the end of the pond that trails to nothing and then the little froglets/newts can climb up and hide in the growth.
What sort of plants are you going to grow in the bog garden?  Astilbe, mimulus,lobelia cardinal, primula viella (sp?) and the candelabra primulas go well there. 
Even put a few hostas there that are doing quite well.  Best of luck and don't forget to post some photos when the job is finished  :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:40:04 »
Good thread Mark,

I have been contemplating a boggy area, but need to squeeze it in as space is limited.  Any advice from the other posters about full sun V's shade?  Most of my garden is in full sun after about April, but I'm growing a shaded area which will start to work next year I reckon. 

Thx
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 15:44:08 »
Thanks for the good advice up to now!
           I have now built the additional marsh/shallows to the side,but did not understand the advice of keeping the pond and shallows seperate at all times.(please)
           Frog spawn is already in the main newly created pond :o ;D
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal