Author Topic: Shed alarm  (Read 1489 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Shed alarm
« on: March 07, 2006, 20:29:12 »
just looking at an alarm for my shed.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101422&ts=63168&id=92633

Wondered if anyone with any knowledge thought it would be possible to connect to a mains supply (guessing its batteries) and if i would also be able to connect a normal PIR aswell as the door contacts to it?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Shed alarm
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 20:54:28 »
The device IS battery operated, this is detailed in the instruction manual. You could always use a rechargeable PP3 battery if you are concerned about battery consumption. The equipment will not be suitable for connection to the mains without a rectified transformer output of the correct power. You would also need a suitable fuse in the circuit, so that you dont burn the shed down in the case of a fault. Bear in mind that it may cost you a disproportionate amount to alter the equipment. Connecting a PIR does not seem practical with the existing arrangement, although it is possible in principle.

My opinion? Don't bother.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

keef

• Hectare
Re: Shed alarm
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 13:07:14 »
Bit of an overkill, but my company sells SMS text based alarm units. We've never sold one to monitor a shed though. Connect up to 4 PIR's, door switches to the unit - stick a SIM card in it. It'll send you a text message direct to your mobile if an alarm occurs - so you can get down there sharpish with a baseball bat.

You can also connect a temperature sensor to it, so you could use it for frost detection aswell....
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal