Author Topic: Dahlias  (Read 2348 times)

Dan 2

• Acre
Dahlias
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:50:38 »
Hi everyone! Shocking as it is, I've never grown Dahlias so 'scuse my ignorance! I was just wondering if its too late to plant Dahlias in late April, VERY early may (1st, 2nd?). The reason I ask is because I won't be able to get to the place that sells the particular tubers until this time. They will probably be planted on the 31st April. Many Thanks for your time and help, Dan :-)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Dahlias
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:27:11 »
Mine didn't go out until end of May beginning of June last year Dan,when I was sure there would be no frost.

I had them in seed trays,in compost indoors. They sprouted and I tried propagating them. You cut the new growth off with a little bit of the tuber and pot it up. It worked!!! (My first time with Dahlias was last year).

I gradually hardened them off by putting them outside during the day until I took a deep breath and put them in the border. All came up a treat except the ones the blinking cat and the dog kept standing on  >:(

I know this year to give them more space and more support.especially the big ones.

What types are you looking at ?

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:31:14 »
Thanks Heldi! I feel better now!

The Variety:
http://www.thecuttinggarden.com/html/DataCardSeasonal.asp?cat=33&type=tubers&Product=621

I know its not cheap but there is a good 'write-up' and I'll treat myself!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 13:26:21 »
Oh that is a lovely one,Bishop of Auckland,beautiful shade of red. Lord Steve has Bishop of Llandaff in his garden,he might be able to give you some tips. I haven't got either but I wouldn't mind having them. Might have to treat myself too!

You like that Sarah Raven site don't you!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 13:28:29 by Heldi »

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 13:35:34 »
It is a lovely variety, and yes I do like some of her products, just a pain they're so expensive.  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 20:09:09 »
http://www.wgltd.co.uk

This is a website for the national dahlia collection
I don't know if it is any help, most of the Dahlias here are £1.95 for a root cutting plus p&p, and they have a wonderful selection.  I requested a catalogue last week and it was here in 2 days.  The trouble is I can't decide because there are so many!

I love the black and dark red ones in Sarah Raven's catalogue and keep looking at it,  the plants she chooses are just the ones I would grow but her prices are too high.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:23:01 »
You're right, they're the ones I'd grow but very expensive, I'll might still treat myself though!  ;D Thansk for the website I've added it to 'favourites'.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 08:55:49 »
Excellent links both of them, many thanks. Definitely want to grow some dahlias this year they are so beautiful.
Had ignored Sarah Raven's site previously - but have to admit it is extremely tempting and nicely presented. Might have to get some veg seeds  ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 09:48:39 »
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can please assist me - I put my dahlias into the heated propagator a couple of weeks ago - I still have no new shoots popping through but last night I notice small bits of white 'fluff' on some of them - is this good or bad?  If bad, what must I do.  It is in dampish compost only half way up the tubers.

Any advice would be appreciated because its on my Bishop of Llandoff?
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 20:51:08 »
It may be mould!  :(

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 08:52:07 »
Hi Dan 2

If it is mould is there anything I must do e.g. scrape it off / cut it out........

Is this good or bad???
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 16:19:43 »
Im afraid Im not sure, on Gardeners World they threw some of the rotting tubers out!  :o I'd post a message in 'The basic's' (whatever its called!) and see if some more experienced people know. Sorry I can't be much help! All the best with the dahlias, Dan :-)

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 10:59:11 »
Hi Jitterbug, it sounds as if your tubers are in too warm and damp an atmosphere. Take them out of the propagator and put them into some just damp  compost in a box or seed tray in a normally heated room. They do not need to be in the light till they sprout.
They need neither much moisture or very high temperatures to start into growth, infact a plastic bag on a shelf in Woolworths is usually enough. ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 15:21:22 by Larkspur »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 14:04:26 »
Hi Jitterbug, dust off the white stuff with a NEW paint brush and very lightly dust with flower of sulpher, take out of the propagator and just rest them in a short carboard box with just about 2 inches of soil, and leave them in a cool but not cold place.
Mine are in those conditions now and every year since we had them, no problems at all  i always dust them with flower of sulpher before i put them away in October.
good luck let us know how you go on and be patient it is very early for Dalhias to be showing yet. Cheers Rosebud.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 18:11:00 »
I told you someone else would have good advice! Well done Larkspur and rosebud!  ;D

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 07:43:01 »
Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated, Dan :-)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 09:56:38 »
Thanks everyone for all the advice and help.  I took them out of the propagator and the ones on the bottom had obviously been too hot and when I tried to squeeze them they just distinegrated!!  I baked them to a crisp :'(

Anyway to cut a long, sob story short - I have taken them out - squeezed all the rest and they seem fine and have now put them in a plastic bag on top of my kitchen cupboards next to the begonias.   That's where they are going to stay until I see some sign of growth.

We live and learn hey ;D

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 17:30:17 »
...sure do! (speaking from lots of sobbing experiences here!)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 19:07:17 »
When i first got my dahlias  a few years ago the tubers arrived (dormant) in JULY! They were so late I had given up on them arriving at all.  I planted them up and they grew to a decent size before the first frosts. A couple even managed to flower a bit.

Even last year i was a bit late  potting the tubers up and the plants themselves were slow to get going once potted up, but they got going once planted out and flowered well for a long time.

What i am saying is; dont worry late planting is fine, they will still do OK and given a mild autumn will go on flowering longer. 

Next year though you'll already have the tubers and will be able to get going a bit earlier and the plants will do even better  ;D. You might even be able to take some cutings, giving you even more plants - for free!

Hope this helps :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal