Author Topic: Growing Lupins from seed  (Read 19751 times)

jobba

Growing Lupins from seed
« on: February 03, 2006, 20:14:12 »
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on growing Lupins from seed. I was wondering when would be the best time to start them off. I have a propogator, but I only have a very small cold frame and was worried how I can keep them protected from frost.

I am a complete beginner and any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Growing Lupins from seed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 20:17:02 »
Depends on whether you want them to flower this season or do not mind waiting. The earlier you sow the better chance they have of flowering in their first year.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 22:01:12 »
Oh goody, something else I can sow now!! I was wondering why the gardeners almanac said to prick out lupins in mid to end February - I could not find when I was suppose to plant them :-[

I am hoping that nature will be kind to me and forgive me for already having sown some tomatoes, aubergines and chili's.  They are currently on the windowsill on a south facing side and once they are big enough I will put them in the cold greenhouse.  Only hope that they survive.  Mmmhh otherwise I could think of moving dh out of the bedroom and having more space to put some more of my babies  ;D

Do you think I'm gonna get away with it :-\
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 00:37:18 »
Jitterbug

I have sown some tomatoes. I started them off at the beginning of January.
Today I sowed lettuce, more tomatoes & strawberrys. But I have a vacant 3 foot fish tank at the moment that sits ona shelf above a radiator. So your not the only one to start growing stuff. :)

Mimi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 09:15:27 »
I am sure that I remember seeing some lupin seeds that where guaranteed to flower first season... just wish that I could remember where  :-\

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:17:28 »
There are such things as annual lupins, they would almost have to flower their first year, wouldn't they?
Gardening is the great leveller.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 10:02:17 »
I last grew Lupins from seed a few years ago at my old house, started off on a window ledge. I can't remember the exact time scale but I did start them early and only had an unheated greehouse. Anyway, they flowered first year and thereafter.

Will try and find the notes in my garden file for you!

CLx

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 11:50:06 »
When you put them in your cold frame, remember to protect them from slugs and snails which can eat the seedlings overnight.  They absolutely adore lupin.   ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 15:56:51 »
I'm going to grow an annual lupin this year but I shalln't be sowing it until April. 

Jitterbug.  I don't think your chillies will be too happy in a cold greenhouse.  I keep mine on the kitchen window sill until at least June.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 17:58:58 »
With Lupins I was told they have a hard seed coat so you should lightly sand th eouter surface of put a small hole in it with a sharp knife. Happy gardening! Dan :-)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 20:55:20 »
Thanks for the advice Georgie - I will keep the chilies indoors until it warms up good.  I have solved another of my problems - I went out and bought a heated propogator from B&Q today.  DH blanched when I stumbled into the house with it declaring - where in .... name are you going to put THAT!  and its not even a big one! -only three seed trays and 5 flower pots.  Sigh ::)  Well after some strategic moving of the coffee station - Voila!! my heated propogator now has pride of place under the kitchen window.  I have now placed all my dahlia tubers in there - all snug and warm and wait impatiently for some shoots to appear to that I can make more dahlia babies!!  Now they must just hurry up to that I can put more stuff in it

I have checked my Lupin packet and they are Russel Mix and definitely perennial.  I will be putting these babies into the cold propogator tomorrow.

;)
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 21:50:19 »
You won't need it for lupins....mine were planted out by mid April, hvaing been raised, pricked out, potted on and acclimatised. Then they flowered.

Good luck if you are interested

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 13:02:27 »
Oh Jitterbug, now I'm jealous!  I was looking at heated propagators in a gardening mag yesterday and was thinking shall I, shalln't I?  I don't really need one as I everything I sow seems to grow perfectly well on the kitchen window sill using cold propagators - the home made type - but I'm still tempted.  Do let us know how you get on with yours.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 17:01:50 »
My main tip for Lupins - don't let the snails get them!

I've been trying out winter-sowing this year and seem to be having some success.. (www.wintersown.org - it's a crazy American thing where you sow seeds outside over winter..)

Melanie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 17:10:55 »
Oh heck, I'm plagued by slugs and snails and had no idea that Lupins were one of their favourite foods.   :(  The type I'm trying is an annual called 'Sweet Pea Scented' and I intend to grow them in pots on the patio.  Looks like I'd better start saving the coffee grounds and egg shells now.  (I've already put an eight cm wide circle of the above mixture around the Alliums which are peeping though.  The blighters ate every one last year.)    ::) 

G xx

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 17:17:04 »
Yeah, slugs don't bother with ours, but snails will climb all the way up them. They hide in the leaves, occasionally munching, and then they climb up the flowers and start to munch on those. Course, it does make it quite easy to catch them..!

Probably worth it, though - it sounds like a lovely lupin - can't find any pictures by searching as all I get are sweet peas!

Melanie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 17:25:57 »
Melanie.  I bought mine from Plants of Distinction.  Here's a link:

http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/

G xx

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 20:48:20 »
Georgie. Lorna bought me 3perennial lupins. Russel Hybrids  all in a box ready for planting from Jan onwards. I think I will grow in pots and hopefully  keep slugs and snails at bay!!
She also bought me 2 Mirabilis jalapa, these also are for planting from Jan onwards. Anything known about these please.. I was going to plant at the weekend but will wait until I am fully recovered from this flu bout.
Best wishes Lorna.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 20:56:32 »
Hi Lorna.  I can't help you with the perennial Lupins I'm afraid as I've never grown them.  But growing plants in pots does not stop slug and snail damage.  You will need to employ all the cunning barrier methods you know as well as be prepared to go out at dusk to pick off the most determined ones.   ;) 

On the Mirabilis jalapa, Amazin' is the expert here and has just offered us all seed in the swap shop.  I shall be sowing mine outdoors in April but you could probably start them off earlier indoors as they are perennials.  According to Amazin' they are 'as tough as old boots'.   ;D

G xx

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 22:37:31 »
Lorna, the Lupins should be fine planted out in normal perennial  time/conditions. Don't worry!

CLx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal