Author Topic: Wilkinsons got Strelitzia plants in for £3.49  (Read 5098 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Wilkinsons got Strelitzia plants in for £3.49
« on: February 04, 2006, 21:31:14 »
When I was in Wilks today I saw (and bought) a strelitzia (after seeing moonbells postings).  It is only a couple cm big with about 5 leaves - so I will see if I have any luck with it.  Fingers crossed ;D
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Wilkinsons got Strelitzia plants in for £3.49
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 21:44:26 »
Great place I got a Solanum "Pepino Gold" melon plant sometimes called a melon pear for £2.99 on the sink now haveing a drink.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 22:44:37 »
Hang on - a couple of cm with FIVE leaves? Blimey!

My first leaf was about 2cm tall. My second was about 10cm and the third... well, you look...

This is a pic of my first four leaves (the seed leaf is the tiddly one at 1.5-2cm tall) so you can get an idea of scale!

Took about 6 months to get to this stage - and a further 3 years to flower.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:03:15 »
Also saw them this weekend in our local store.
Good price for the size of plant.
Also liked the 6 ft tall apple and pear tree's at a FIVER :o :o
Long live Wilko's!!!!

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 16:59:42 »
Yup, I bought one of those Strelitzias from Wilkos last year, same price surprisingly. Anyway, it's a very healthy plant, getting on for about a foot high now. Definitely recommended!

I feel a Wilkos trip coming on.. :D
*rubs hands gleefully*

Melanie

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:10:28 »
We popped in on Saturday for a couple of tidy tubs and well, need I confess to it all????

ok:  3 canna's, 2 lily bulbs, 5 dahlias, 20 Gladiola corms ( two different varieties) a peony Sarah Bernhart a spray nozzle for the hoze and 10 metal hooks for hanging tools up in the shed and two packets of seeds.  About £30 - amazing value.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 14:21:51 »
Just come back from Wilkinsons and have also bought a Strelitzia and a Hellibore and some gladioli corms and some little plug-ins of lobelia.  They do have some really brilliant fruit trees and other plants for very competitive prices.   Good old Wilko's!  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 19:57:16 »
Fluffygrue and Moonbells - how do you post pictures - I would like to send through a pic of my new baby??
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 21:46:47 »
I do it by uploading a piccy to my website and then linking to it from here using
[ img]www.location.here/image.jpg[/img ]

I've had to put spaces in between the outer [ ] as otherwise the site thinks I'm really linking an image, so it doesn't show the URL!! You'll need to make sure your tag is like [img] etc.

You can also press the icon for picture (second from L on bottom row) and that gives you the tags; just type your URL between them.

Other folk have the ability to post piccies directly, but that's usually restricted to those who've given Dan a ££ donation!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 13:18:03 »
Well I gave a donation last night and still nada???  ???And I so want you to hsbr s peep at my new baby :'(

MrsRotavator

• Not So New ...
  • feed me... feed me now
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 17:09:49 »
Ooooh dont I could cry, I successfully germinated 6 streltzia seeds 3 years ago and have tended them carefully in my unheated green house, where they have thrived even during the winter.

However last autumn we had an unexpected frost and i didnt realise the green house was open and i lost the lost.... boo hoo

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 17:40:29 »
Mm, Wilkos have Bourgainvillia plants for £1.99, which is crazily cheap. They were looking a bit sad in the shop I just went to, so I resisted..

BTW, I found out they're very sneaky with their buy-one-get-the-cheapest-free seeds offer.. You can buy 2 x £2 packs and 2 x 40p packs, and you get 2 x 40p packs free. Unless you want to go through the tills twice.. Mumble mumble.

Melanie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 18:21:35 »
Jitterbug, you've got 'pics' next to your post, so they're enabled for you. Click on 'additional options' when you post, then point it to the file on your hard disk and post it. You'll probably need some text to make it work.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 21:46:23 »
Ahem....

Take a look at my new baby ...

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 00:07:12 »
Well done JB - on both the plant AND the pic!

;D

Fluffygrue, re the Bougainvillea at Wilko's - I bought one, a rather sad-looking specimen, took it home and gave it a good dunking - it perked up straight away!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 08:18:52 »
Hey JB, I would say you got yourself a bargain there, because to me it looks like 2 baby plants.  Only a few years to wait now before they flower!  ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 10:35:02 »
I was just about to say the same - def two plants! Wish there was a Wilko's near here...

I'd keep them together - they flower faster if they're clumped...

moonbells

Jitterbug

• Hectare
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 18:23:24 »
Oooh! thanks EJ and Moonbells

I've had a closer look and me thinks you gals are right.  A plant for free - it warms the cockles of my celtic heart.  Alto DH thought I was mad - staring at the plant intently from every angle  :o  but then if he does not know it by now (after 17 years) then there's no hope for him  ;)  And to think that I had these in my garden outside (5ft high) in SA and never ever molly coddled them like I'm doing with this one. Tsk! Tsk!

Moonbells if you want I could go around to my Wilks this week-end and buy one for you and send it.  You could maybe send me the equivalent in stamps or we could do a swop - or something .  It did come in a lovely box which I am sure I can pack up snugly in the mail?  - let me know ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 21:46:13 »
Oh thankyou Jitterbug, but I'd better not. Just have the old 'eyes bigger than conservatory'  complaint!! The current one's heading for 1m3 and dominates the table, and I still have to find room for the new season's veg. seedlings!!!

Reminds me, do you still want those seeds to give it a go yourself???

moonbells

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal