Author Topic: propagating blackberries  (Read 1519 times)

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
propagating blackberries
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:22:56 »
I am moving house next month (to a garden 5 times bigger !!!) and would like to take some cuttings of a thornless blackberry from the garden. The roots are not accessible, as they are growing between a garden wall and a fence.

I have already rooted some runners, but since it is so prolific and tasty, I don't want to take any chances.

I have been told that you can take cuttings of a blackberry and plant them; should I use 1 or 2 year old growth, do I need to use rooting hormone, and do I need to use compost or soil indoor or outdoor?

thanks
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: propagating blackberries
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 13:49:50 »
If it is such a good blackberry, don't risk losing it. Take literally dozens of cuttings. The ones at the end of the one year old growth will root better, and why don't you try some with hormone powder and some without? I would make up a equal mix of clayey soil, potting compost and grit, in deep pots. Cuttings at least 9" long, and cut below a bud and get as many buds below the soil surface as you can. Keep moist and hope. The other thing you could do, is peg some tips of stems into the soil in an unobtrusive place and ask the people who are moving in to let you come back in the summer and dig them up (they should have rooted). Also, ask them if they intend to dig it up and dispose of it (people do that type of thing!) to give you a ring so you can go and rescue it. I would also try to dig up at least some root now, with stems attached - they do take a lot of abuse, you might be lucky.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 14:16:48 »
.....and if the new people are willing, root last years growth into 5" pots of compost and soil mix. This will save you digging up the garden for your new plants. I's my annual method to move plants around and increase stock and give new plants to friends.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 18:46:53 »
If the blackberries in my hedges are anything to go by, you can just cut the stems, take them with you and plant them as cuttings. They should grow away in no time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal