Author Topic: connecting two computers  (Read 3558 times)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
connecting two computers
« on: January 27, 2006, 17:53:31 »
I have a computer downstairs and my son has one in his bedroom, they are connected somehow in that I can tell when he's online and he can send stuff to the printer downstairs. Is there any way I can find out what websites he is visiting from my computer? (Without asking him)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: connecting two computers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 18:33:26 »
We use AOL and they send a report every night on which websites our offspring have visited, and AOL also prevent them using many websites much to their frustration!  I can give them 'permission' to visit a website for each time they want to if it is 'forbidden', I like this control over what they visit.  AOL was recommended to us for this reason and we have been very impressed with it, for us it was worth the extra expense for the peace of mind.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 19:32:39 »
Depending on your knowledge of computers .....

Go to the remote PC and make sure it has file sharing enabled.
Set the computer to show hidden files/folder

Explorer/tools/View folders  select show hidden folders.

If using XP go to the following directory
C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Local Settings\

Find the folder called History right click on it and select sharing and share it as read only.

You should now be able to view the contents of the history folder (ie the internet history by day) from your other PC via a network connection.

HTH
Ian

Yellow Petals

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 00:09:32 »
I have a computer downstairs and my son has one in his bedroom, they are connected somehow in that I can tell when he's online and he can send stuff to the printer downstairs. Is there any way I can find out what websites he is visiting from my computer? (Without asking him)

I have to ask, simply because I'm nosey, how old is your son?

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:48:48 »
Thanks for the replies, I shall have a go.
YP - he is 17 and the reason that I want to keep an eye on it is that I went up to ask him something yesterday and although he was learning driving theory on line, he had minimised a window that I didn't like the look of (title on bottom of screen). I asked him what it was and he embarrassingly told me so I just said I realised he was a teenage lad and was only doing what they all do. He is a very quite, shy lad and never goes out which worries me.
Being naturally nosey I had a look at it on my comp and was a bit shocked! :o After only a glance I realized that it isn't something I want him logging onto and I think another chat is in order. Have you got any advice?

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 09:10:02 »
Glow777  - how do I get C:\Documents and Settings. It's my son who is the whiz on computers and I can't ask him. Also Once I have done what you suggested, will he be able to tell I'm checking? Thanks, ani

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 12:24:26 »
Hi
No he wont know your checking.
The C:\drive is the hard drive and can be found by drilling down from my computer.
No offensive but the rest may be a bit hard if you are struggling at this point - is there someone who you could ask who may be able to set this up when your son is out of the house?

I'll have a think if there is an easier way of doing this - can you view your son's pc on the network?

Ian

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 15:37:33 »
I have got as far as Document settings, then it has pics of 4 folders: all users, my name, default user and owner. All the last 3 have 'local settings' and then History in it. (which of these name do I need to do it on) Then I can get the Sharing menu up, it has 'Local Sharing &Security' and 'Network Sharing & Security' in this one it says "share with folder on the network" and asks for share name. is this what I need?
Thank you for takeing the time and trouble to help me.

Conzla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 16:56:24 »
Ani
     Everyone has there privacy, if he is a whizz kid on your computer then he will probabily be more offended than ever when he finds out you have been looking through his computer. I know i would'nt be too happy, would you?
If you want a chat with him thats fine, but a seventeen year old looking at something on the net, seems normal to me.I was seventeen once....... did me no harm

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 17:38:46 »
I have got as far as Document settings, then it has pics of 4 folders: all users, my name, default user and owner. All the last 3 have 'local settings' and then History in it. (which of these name do I need to do it on) Then I can get the Sharing menu up, it has 'Local Sharing &Security' and 'Network Sharing & Security' in this one it says "share with folder on the network" and asks for share name. is this what I need?
Thank you for takeing the time and trouble to help me.
Conzla's remarks are justified, but if you want to continue you need the folder that the user will be logged on as when he access the'net.

Double check by entering the history folder in there is the info you want to see when you are on your PC it should be in Today.yesterday, date format. try viewing the files. All will/should become clear!

Ian

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 19:10:27 »
Conzla, I'm not policing what he wants to log onto, but some of the stuff on the site was awful and all I have said to him to keep off the heavy stuff. I'm certainly no prude as I teach groups of 30, 11 to 19 year olds about STI's, sexuality etc and do condom demonstrations and have a great laugh with the pupils.
I just want to keep a watchfull eye so I can talk to him when/if necessary.
I think I would get the blame if he started meeting people that he'd met on the net and I hadn't bothered to do anything. I'm just a caring mum.

Conzla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 19:49:49 »
point noted ani but just go careful cause he might see a fine line between caring and interfering.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 20:01:29 »
Sounds like he's a healthy young man. Prying into his private ways is a fast way to drive a wedge between you.
As a G'father of 10 and a father of 4 grown-up children (Oldest 39) I would say, 'You seem to have a very responsible and well brought up young man there, let him have some space and privacy.

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 22:25:12 »
you will probably find he clears the history anyway.there are plenty programs available to get rid of junk and temp files which include browsing history.If you are worried about it then I would suggest some surf control software.You can get free trials for 30 days.I use surf control at work and i think the home edition is pretty cheap.I havent tried it though.

http://www.cyberpatrol.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 23:01:18 »
Ani you can monitor what he is viewing, but it's likely it will upset you more than him and if he finds out what you are doing, what does that do to the trust in your relationship?

If you are used to teaching sex education presumably you and he have discussed issues around it? Maybe you need to talk to him like you do to the kids you teach and tell him what it is that you object to and why. I think it's very normal for people of his age to explore issues around sexuality and the internet makes it very easy to get more info than ever before. Maybe he was as shocked by that website as you were?

I really don't think there's any mileage in "spying" on him. If you have had an upfront relationship keep it that way.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 14:47:22 »
Ani, at 17 I believe your son has a right to his own privacy regarding what he downloads from the Internet.  After all, he can legally leave home now and then you wouldn't know where he was or who he was with.   :(

I would not make a big issue of it but casually discuss with him the dangers of the Internet and the legal implications should he inadvertently download something that is illegal.    :-[

Perhaps you could encourage him to join a forum or chat room that is connected with his interests, rather than visiting a general chat room.  I just did a search of driving and chat room and came up with the following site:  http://www.driversdomainuk.com/chat.php
I know there are several sports forums/chat rooms, in fact whatever his interests, there will be something for him to join.  It may give him more confidence too.   :D

I wouldn't spy on him Ani for what would be the point of it.  Would you then confront him and lose his respect, for he would know that you have been spying on him?  If you found out something you didn't like and had to keep it to yourself you would be in a quandry as to what to do.  Sometimes it is better not to know about these things.  At least you know where your son is when he is on his computer and do not have to worry that he might be out drinking or experimenting with drugs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal