Author Topic: I have my own allotment!!!!!  (Read 3871 times)

Aylana

• Not So New ...
I have my own allotment!!!!!
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:48 »
I am so excited, as of this morning I now officiallly have my own allotment!!  It comes with a greenhouse and a tiny shed which are both packed full of stuff which is mainly rubbish but there is also a fair amount of decent wood in there that I can use for raised beds!  The plot itself is very uneven and covered in a thick layer of dead weeds, grass (they sprayed it all with weedol a few weeks ago) and various bits of paving stones.  There is a small amount of bramble growing at the top end and bottom but nothing that will take too much work to get rid of.  There are also 3 leek trenches, one of which is in perfect condition with beautiful soil in!  The previous tenant had the plot for 30 years and was only interested in his leeks, he never touched the rest of the plot the whole time he was there!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I am so excited, I can't wait to get stuck in!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
Re: I have my own allotment!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:46:25 »
That's fantastic - well done.  It's worth the wait sometimes.  The best advice I heard was to takle a small area at a time. We limit our unfit selves to two hour bursts at a time.  This keeps the enjoyment going and you can see your progress as you clear the site.

Enjoy your greenhouse  ;D ;D

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 12:54:02 »
take care with your digging remenber little and often  i dont get mine till 10am sunday morning this week has gone so slow iv read my veg book every night sow seeds with the kids and now im looking at more seeds ? the oh will kill me  as yet what i can see through the fence all vacant plots have some sort of plastic over to help with weed controle (my luck though ill get the only one with out ) all the best let us know how you get on

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 13:23:00 »
AYLANA ;D

Great new......Well done...Wishing you lots of Gardening Pleasure with your New Acquistion....Keep us ppppposted with your Progress ...PROMISE!!
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 16:32:41 »
:) Well done Aylanda on getting your plot.  It's very exciting isn't it.  I still dream about mine and how it will look one day in July/August with the bees buzzing and the birds tweeting and me sitting in the sun on my bench next to my, as yet non-existent shed, admiring my, as yet non-existent, massive butternut squash and endless courgettes......... 8)

Loulou - roll on 10am sunday morning - good luck!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 17:04:04 »
Good girl Aylana!!! Well done ;D ;D ;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 17:04:57 »
Yay
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 19:45:55 »
Thanks guys.  It is so nice to share my excitement with people who understand! I will take some "before" photos when I go down to start working on it.  I am definately going to go with the little and often method.  I can't wait to start going through all the junk in the greenhouse to see if there is anything useful buried in there!  There was also an overturned wheelbarrow that I want to test to see if it is still sturdy enough to be usable! 

I bet you are counting down the hours now loulou! I hope you get a great plot!

Fingers crossed you get a plot soon amanda21!!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 19:46:13 »
Congrats  :)   Any chance of some 'before' pictures? - to be followed by 'after' pictures, of course!

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 19:54:01 »
I will be going down on Sunday (I can't get down there tomorrow as I don't have my keys yet and am at work when the guy who runs the shop is there to open the gates for me) so I will definately take my camera along and get some pictures up.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 00:28:35 »
Good luck! :D It's so exciting isn't it? I love my plot even though I still have lots to do. Very jealous about the shed though ;)

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 01:13:58 »
thanks and i hope i get a decent one so kids can mither with is it ready yet all the best let us know how it gose photes from both of us soon then lol

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 17:16:18 »
Great news Aylana!  Glad the great day has come at last and it sounds brilliant.  Don't forget to take a before pic,  - it is always good to see how far you  progress.  We have had ours 3 years on 16th Feb, and we are amazed how it has changed and improved over those years. Good luck and many happy hours at your plot!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 20:39:09 »
Thanks guys!  I went down today and took some measurements so I can begin making plans for raised beds etc.  My boyfriend has somehow managed to convince 4 of his friends that they should all come down to my plot in a couple of weeks time and spend the day clearing it for me!  All they want in return is a few cans of beer and to be able to burn all the stuff they pull up and cut down!!  Men are strange but I'm not going to complain if they want to do it.   ;D

How is your new plot loulou???  Do tell us!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 20:43:41 »
Sounds like one helluva boyfriend! ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 23:54:50 »
A good bonfire is good fun, but don't make the mistake of burning weeds normally. Do it this once, then compost them, otherwise you're just mining the soil for organic matter which doesn't get put back. The more organic matter you can dig in the better the soil gets.

Rowan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 12:29:01 »
Congratulations!  ;D

It's great looking through all the junk and other stuff to see what's there, isn't it? There's a real sense of exploration and sometimes you do come upon something useful. The one we've just taken over was neglected for two years but I found a water butt and a long line of raspberry canes that were buried amongst the brambles.  Lots of (mostly brittle) plastic now covered with ivy and one or two tiny holly bushes that must have germinated a year or so ago and will now fit nicely into my new hedge.

Good luck with the clearing!  :)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 17:36:39 »
I found a car hub cap on Saturday. Just looking for the rest of the car now!
Good luck with your plot!

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 22:27:42 »
Well I finally got round to uploading the pics of my plot, so here is it:

View from bottom of plot

View from top

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 22:29:02 »
My greenhouse and shed

The Leek trenches

There is lots of work to do as you can tell!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal