Author Topic: What fruit trees to grow?  (Read 1687 times)

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
What fruit trees to grow?
« on: January 21, 2006, 07:38:58 »
In clearing 2 tree stumps off my new plot unfortunately the digger went on to clear about 5 small trees that were in the corner of the plot & had been one of the reasons I'd picked it... visions of wild birds feeding out of my hand. However, I've now reconciled myself to this with the thought that I can plant a couple of fruit trees to replace.

Criteria are.... a) quick growing b) not huge c) can make wine out of produce. Plum sounds favourite.

Grateful for any advice on what trees to grow.
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What fruit trees to grow?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:04:48 »
You sound as though you've done some thnking about size already, which is crucial. What do you mean by 'not huge'? Plums do well on my plot, but do you want an eater or a cooker? Will it just be for wine, or for other purposes as well? You need to decide what size trees you want, and look for appropriate rootstocks.

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 19:29:46 »
i have a cherry tree in my garden to big 4 your allotment but wat about a small cherry mine is full of birds when it is in flower and fruit

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 19:32:36 »
you could grow a whole load os apples if you use a cordon method - i have just bought 8 to run down the side of my plot - cost £112 but in three years or so.....yum

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 22:38:52 »
Plum and damson are good for wine and for eating, and relatively quick.
I grow Damson 'Shropshire Prune', Plum Victoria, Plum Opal. You will get good crops in about 3 - 4 years off 1 - 2 year old trees.
Also consider Blackberry 'Oregon' or 'Merton' again for wine and eating, trained on wires between posts about 8 ft apart. These can be got as thornless varieties, Loganberry too. These will crop well in 2 - 3 years.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 23:47:57 »
Dr D G Hessayon's "the fruit expert" is relatively cheap and provides lots of useful info about different types of fruit trees and the rootstocks that they are available with. (It is the rootstock that the tree is grafted on to that decides how big it grows.) Once you know what size of tree you want you can look at things like espalier/ fan/ bush etc. The ones that require a lot of training (Espalier for eg) tend to be more expensive, but if you feel confident you can buy "maidens" with an appropriate rootstock and train them yourself.
I could be wrong but I don't think plums are available with dwarfing rootstocks. We need ladders to crop the plums from our Victoria plum tree.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 09:49:47 »
You can buy Victoria on St Julien A (semi dwarfing but still vigorous) and Pixie (dwarfing) rootstocks. If you look at the base of the tree, you may see the bulge where the rootstock is joined, although this may be harder to spot on older trees.

To make plum trees easier to crop from, you may want to try festooning - I will try and find a picture.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:55:27 by jennym »

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 09:54:06 »
Personally, I've gone for apples on MM106. If you pick the right varieties they keep and two or 3 bush trees should give you lots. What you don't eat or cook you can make wine or cider from. I've planted eight -five bushes and 3 cordons.

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal