Author Topic: January tomatoes  (Read 1765 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
January tomatoes
« on: January 12, 2006, 13:19:41 »
I'm eating the last tomatoes I've just picked from a plant growing on my kitchen windowsill. Is this normal? It doesn't seem normal, but I don't know enough to be sure.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: January tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 16:01:38 »
 Picking Tommies in January. It's not normal, it's very unusual..But  I bet it's good  :) Jim
Cheers .. Jim

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 17:11:34 »
I need a bigger kitchen windowsill. I'm very jealous.  :o
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 17:26:47 »
The plant was 99p from B&Q and I've done nothing to it but pot it on. Must just be a good windowsill  8)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 18:02:21 »
I am definitely envious ...

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 07:45:32 »
when i sorted my greenhouse out a couple of days ago, their was a couple of red tomatoes left on the withered plant, skins we a bit tough, didnt half taste good though!!!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 15:53:54 »
Gosh mine were finished over a month ago.. :'(

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 11:24:23 »
A couple of years ago I planted some white cherry tomatoes up in July with the hope of a crop for christmas. I kept them in the dining room next to the radiator and in front of the window. I got 3 toms for christmas, but a decent crop in feb. I pruned the plant right back, watered and fed it, and it started to grow again. I got  some more toms around may, pruned and fed, and then it cropped right through the summer, finally dying off in October - My wife had insisted that I put it outside as she was so sick of it by then! Overall it probably put out around 100 fruit, and lasted from July 2003 to October 2004.

A tip that I was given which worked in order to force the last toms to ripeness was to put a bin bag over the top of the plant to heat thing up...
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal