Author Topic: Organic Chicken Manure - Any advice?  (Read 1769 times)

TonyM

• Not So New ...
Organic Chicken Manure - Any advice?
« on: January 15, 2006, 14:07:00 »
Hi

I have been given a couple of bags of organic chicken manure pellets and would like some advice;

anyone have any experience of using it - good or bad?
can I just spread it and leave it to wash in?
should I just rake it over?
will the weeds think it is time to start growing?

Neighbouring plots have been using horse manure so I guess this is the time to do something.

Thanks
TonyM

keef

• Hectare
Re: Organic Chicken Manure - Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 16:39:22 »
I'm using chicken manure this year for the first time, could'nt get any cows or horse's. I'm just scattering a bit in the trench as i dig, about one trowl to about 5ft of trench, every other row only. I'm also putting in a bit of my own compost as i go aswell.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 16:43:25 »
Hi  I use it all the time. You can just scatter it on the surface or scatter and rake, whichever you do it will wash in. You can also put it in the bottom of a planting hole ( I did so with two Lonicera yesterday) in the way you would throw in a handfull of compost, manure or Growmore. It is a good general purpose fertiliser but if I remember rightly it is not particularly high in potassium.

christine

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 16:52:38 »
I use it, but as it's fast-acting I don't put it on until March.  It stinks, so best scattered when rain is expected, then rake it in.  High in nitrogen, so especially good for brassicas, but I put it all over 'cos no manure and short of compost.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 16:55:21 by christine »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 16:53:09 »
It's quite rich to be careful how much you use. Works well for me, like Larkspur, sprinkle on top or use in planting holes. I add to the soil about 2 weeks before planting.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

christine

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 16:56:58 »
Sorry, meant brassicas - not legumes!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 17:06:13 »
I'm pleased to see this question asked....I've wondered if I could use it - never used anything on my plot other than sometimes scattering b.f. & bone over prior to digging bits of it and a lottie neighbour advised some growmore once when I was digging.....much easier to acquire chicken manure I think....have seen it in bags at garden centre...can cope with that but not huge loads of horse muck!!....can it be harmful to anything??

H.P.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 17:15:28 »
We use this all the time too.  It is a really useful organic fertiliser and so versatile, especially if you can't get hold of the real thing. We have used it on  ornamental plants, some veggies and even one year in our potato trench when we couldn't get any manure, so really good standby. Think it is quite rich but you have the ability of just scattering lightly if need be, and not using for something that doesn't like too rich a soil anyway.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 17:27:41 »
thanks for that info B.L. will look around for some - can manage some bags of that in boot of my 'new car' and presumably can them 'dump them' onto the allotment...not got a shed or anything so need to store them either in the car (which might smell rather) or have to leave them on the plot til I can use them....but believe they come in small bags so could buy a few at a time (as I need them)....

H.P.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 18:10:29 »
The pellets I buy come in a plastic bucket which seals tightly with a lid, my bucket sat outdoors for a few months and the contents didn't get wet.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 23:36:02 »
Oh that's better still if they come in a bucket - presume there's no 'smell' till you take the lid off, so I could definitely keep a bucket or two in the boot of the car...thanks for the info Jesse.

H.P.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 00:46:55 »
Saw plastic buckets of chicken manure in In Store the other day but couldn't see price - must check it out as they are usually pretty cheap.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 10:44:00 »
They shouldn't be more than £4 for a big old bucket.
That's what they are in B&Q. 
You could take that down the lottie & leave it there. It's pretty heavy & will weigh your car down.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal