Author Topic: swedes  (Read 5575 times)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
swedes
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:45:58 »
Hi all and a happy new year. :)

I seem to have a problem with some of my swedes this year,the earlier harvested ones were fine,but the recent ones are very hard,so hard in fact they are very difficult to cut and cook.

Bearing in mind that these are specifically winter veg and theoretically should stand well into the winter I am at a loss to think what has gone wrong :-\.

I would add that they have,for the most part made good sizeable growth.

Any ideas anyone? ;).......Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
Re: swedes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:59:30 »
Get a sharper knife. :D

Sorry Alan, couldn't resist!

Perhaps it is better to harvest  and cook them whilst they are relatively young and more tender, rather than  leave them in the ground to long?

:D
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 12:08:20 »
If you have had a mild winter, especially after a cold period, then the plants may be growing again. The hardness will be tissues lignifying, conversion to carbon (wood), prior to them running to seed.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 13:03:28 »
Many thanks John,much like Parsnips left in the ground till spring then. ???

With all the mild winters we are having I think I will have to harvest my swedes as soon as they are ready and then find a way of storing them.  regards....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 13:18:46 »
It may well be worthwhile checking other overwintered veg too? They may all need lifting sooner than normal.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 15:15:45 »
Thanks for that explanation, John - we always speak about swedes going "woody" if they are left too long and though I knew it was a texture change never knew what the explanation was - you are a mine of information!!

We love swede and use it a lot - never feel it is at its best until it has been frosted.  We are still picking ours as we need them but will soon lift the remainder, dice and freeze for putting in soups right thru the year hopefully.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 18:58:55 »
This sounds familiar :-[. My soil here is so light that swedes do not do well-they are all `neck`

I have to buy them and they are so hard I literally have to split them with a cleaver

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 19:58:27 »
aha!.
i have the same problems. but only three swedes left ..good to know for next year though :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 21:19:49 »
Believe it or not I have had to resort to using a saw on some of my veg, especially the cabbage.

Rosemary

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 23:02:35 »
Believe it or not I have had to resort to using a saw on some of my veg, especially the cabbage.

Rosemary

This made me laugh out loud  ;D :'(  I must remember this technique!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 23:20:47 »
ssshhhh, don't tell anyone, but I have had to use a meat cleaver like an axe to seperate a savoy cabbage from it's trunk like stem!!  The hamsters love them tho!! ;D

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 12:36:11 »
I've got heavy clay but my swedes seem to be all "neck" too, Cleo.
Helen

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 13:34:27 »
It's amazing how one thinks one is the only one with swede trouble,or any other troubles for that matter.
Reading  the continuing Swede saga and the respective dissecting remedies since I originally  posted, It appears a lot of us have the same prob......amazing   :D.
Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 07:09:53 »
thanks for all the info i have a very light soil and poor swedes this explains why,oh well more muck spreading?
Chris Pea

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 07:18:21 »
Ha!  I don't have that problem with my swedes ....  oh no - they are so small that cutting them in half would be similar to splitting the atom!
Always look on the bright side of life

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 08:35:33 »
My swedes have fared about the same as yours Bionic, I have had bigger new potatoes ...  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 15:59:02 »
Are swedes brassica?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 16:47:39 »
indeed they are
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 17:28:50 »
I had very small swedes to start with,then last year I decided to give them more room e.g.18" all round and they grew massive.Whatever you do don't allow the tops to be eaten by pigeons in the initial growing stages,it stunts them considerably(the swedes that is) ;D.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 18:18:15 »
Brasicas - yes.  And some Italian lottie neighbours of ours simply love the young turnip/swede leaves tho I've never tried them myself I udnerstand they are nice and "peppery"?
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal