Author Topic: Bad Manners...grrrrr  (Read 7689 times)

undercarriage plan

Bad Manners...grrrrr
« on: January 06, 2006, 19:00:22 »
Sorry, just need to get this off my chest....Any other parents fed up to the back teeth with organising kids birthdays and not getting any blessed replies!! It's sooooo rude!! One year organised Dan's, didn't get one reply and yet they all trooped up for the fun bit.....
And as for party bags!!! I am evil, cos I don't do party bags and when they ask where's their party bag, I hand them a squished piece of cake and a greasy serviette  ;D.....OK grrrr over....

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Bad Manners...grrrrr
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 19:05:15 »
Soooooooooooo glad my days of doing kids parties are over.  ::)

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 19:09:39 »
Well, don't laugh Eilleen, this year I've farmed Meg's13th out to...erm....Sticky Stephs..... :-\  Her dad is doing a disco and I can manage a polite grin for about 10 min, but 3 hours.....too much to ask..  ;)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 19:25:58 »
Sorry, just need to get this off my chest....Any other parents fed up to the back teeth with organising kids birthdays and not getting any blessed replies!! It's sooooo rude!! One year organised Dan's, didn't get one reply and yet they all trooped up for the fun bit.....
And as for party bags!!! I am evil, cos I don't do party bags and when they ask where's their party bag, I hand them a squished piece of cake and a greasy serviette  ;D.....OK grrrr over....

Any invitation these days with RSVP on has a tendency to be ignored.

I only got 2/3 of my wedding invitations replied to properly - some folk didn't even bother contacting my parents and preferred to just phone me whereas others followed the exact textbook replies with proper cards. These were in general the older people. We had to chase the rest... and this is with folk knowing full well that a no-reply means no food... Some folk dithered until the week of the caterer's final numbers deadline!

I usually send out invitations these days with a caveat - please let me know by X date for catering purposes - anyone not replying by then will have to bring their own!! (And this is for adults - we don't have kids yet!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 19:32:34 »
Lost count the number of times I have given a wedding gift and had no 'thank you' letter.  Society today is definately down the tubes, absolutely no manners.  Same with giving a gift for a new baby.  Thank you, some folk dont know the meaning of the word.  I give up.   Its our nieces wedding this year, soon, in March.  She is having a big reception and I just wonder how she will get on with RSVPs.    moan over..

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 19:33:05 »
i am with Eileen on this one lottie , i am so glad my party days are over , loads of hyperactive kids driving me mad  ;D ;D ;D suppose the next party's i will be planning will be sons 18th ,

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 19:39:19 »
Couldn't agree more. The friend who's party we went to New Years Eve said he had invited many more people, he catered with food and drink in case they turned up. Not even a phone call to say they couldn't make it.
My kids were lucky with my surprise party in Sept, except for one old friend who had moved they had a 99% result to the invitations.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 19:41:26 »
It's not so bad, only erm 12 more years..... :'( :'( :'(  Well, when/if you do Moonbells, don't ever start with party bags!!! It's one saving grace, I never have so my kids never expect them, but some of the things they bring home are unbelievable!! They must each be worth over a fiver.. :o It's like the kids going to the party are getting a pressie for going....
Your idea about a date is a really good one. For next kids' birthday I may add "Please reply by x date or be prepared for boot up the backside".... ;D
Your niece ought to do something similar, Carol, wish I'd have thought of it....
How rude, Lorna...they only had to pick up the phone....tst....need booting, I think.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 19:42:28 »
 I always put R.S.V.P. at the bottom of the invite. I also put no reply no entry to the party and slip a little note in to the parents saying that I MUST know if there child is comming. It works every time. ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 19:52:47 »
The worst I've had is no reply to the rsvp and then they turned up anyway and brought a couple of friends too!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 20:20:50 »
Jesseveve.. Sorry but I just had to laugh at that, can imagine your face when they all turned up!!! :o :o :o Not funny I know!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 20:21:41 »
It's really hard, Jess, isn't it, cos I had that with Dan's last year, and felt like grrrrring and not letting them in!! But only person hurt then would have been Dan. Worst one was Jack's, few years back, had barely any replies and we had it a Kidz Kingdom  :P 2 turned up, then the others who hadn't replied did too.....to someone else's party.... Luckily they all played together, but nearly gave the parents more than a boot...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 21:22:34 »
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 21:25:41 »
Is that why this thread is so.. well...WIDE...Clanger's big grrrr - or is my PC having a turn?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 21:27:57 »
Ad's Grrrrr, think he's tad miffed...  ::)  Well, it is blinkin annoying, so grrrr away.....it'll be on topic after all... ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 00:21:56 »
We held an engagement party for my daughter and her fiance on 5th November last year.  We organised lots of food, drink, a fireworks display, a quiz, and a pianist as well as having CD's played.  We invited 60 people with (you have guessed it) RSVP on the invitations.  How many people do you think replied.  One !! Loads of people did turn up, but without confirming it to us.  It was so infuriating!!  We were so nervous  in case we had gone to all that trouble for nothing right up to the time people started to arrive.  Why don't people have the good manners to respond?  ??? busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 00:32:05 »
I blame the parents....
Nathan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 00:36:22 »
I harrass the parents, I corner them by the gates and quiz them.  Tis very rude indeedy!  Got over it now, this year ours don't want big parties, they both want bowling parties, so 5 chums to the bowling alley - burgers and chips and fizzy pop, slab of birthday cake and job done!  Easy peasy!!

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 05:03:17 »
I'm planning my wee girl's First Birthday Party, and have booked the local Community Hall.  There is a limit to the number of 'nippers' allowed to attend (no more than thirty kids), owing to supervisory and safety issues.  We are currently constructing a list of invitees, and my ever-so-talents OH is designing invitations.

As my baby is so young, there is to be a Soft Play area.  The Hall's Rules & Regs require that no shoes be worn in the Soft Play, but socks are a must (not a problem for my girl, as she tries to take her shoes off at the drop of a hat),  I asked my OH to state this on the invite, in case some poor toddler arrives in sandals, but without the required socks, and she jumped down my throat!!!  "Who would send their children to a party without socks?" she cried.  The debate continues, but I feel certain that if my girl was attending a similar function, I would be grateful to parents who informed me of any similar requirements.

As numbers are limited, I will also be insisting on a (written) RSVP (as my OH sometimes forgets to tell me things), and I will be standing by the entrance on the day, with clip-board and pen in hand, checking off the kids who arrive against my RSVP list, inspecting toddlers for socks, and "Red-Carding" those who do not meet muster (they can watch through the window).

BTW, any of you living in the Cardiff Area with toddlers, the party is on the 4th March (Saturday after St David's Day).  RSVP by PM (Socks required).
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 08:35:21 »
I totally agree with the comments made about bad manners.

I honestly don't think many people in this day and age know what RSVP actually means... maybe it would be better and less stressful to replace RSVP with...."Please confirm that you will be coming"

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal