Author Topic: Bad Manners...grrrrr  (Read 7683 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
Re: Bad Manners...grrrrr
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 22:45:04 »
Very enlightening thread this - and I almost feel I should apologise to all of you who put time and effort in to organise public events as I have to admit I am one who is usually to be found slinking away into the background.  But I would never not reply or not turn up and do always ring people up to thank them next day as, having put on plenty of parties (adult and kids) at home I know it is very rare to get a "thank you".

Lottie
It's a mad world, PC has gone mad and yet common manners have gone flying out of the window
That's it in a nutshell!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 23:52:23 »
On the events where nobody turned up after all the catering was organised, I'd be tempted to charge in advance. Then at least nobody's out of pocket, and you can always try and get rid of uneaten food by phoning a local shelter or something.

Besides, folk are much more likely to turn up if they've paid in advance.  Nobody likes to see their own personal money wasted.

Perhaps the Daily Mail ought to have a letter written to it for its next grumble about society! ie if we stop being overly PC and just teach manners, then the PC will look after itself if folk respect each other from the start!

A related grumble for me is the assumption by people you've never met, just spoken to on the phone, that you don't object to being called by your first name or that (as a woman) they can assume you're happy being called Ms. (Anyone working for the Guardian please take note! It doesn't take many seconds to ask someone their title!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2006, 08:49:02 »
...and I may have missed this but what bugs me over and above thise that don't reply is those that bring along the siblings with the expectation that they will also be able to join in and be catered for!!

Do they think a little prayer suddenly makes more food appear????
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 09:12:57 »
The various comments have brought back so many memories of the days when I was involved with organising many regular events.
I am currently involved with running a series of Roadshows throughout the UK, these are sponsored by several suppliers who provide a room and buffet .. ALL FREE but the people who wish to come have to pre-book.

They are told, all the way through, that the event is free but if they don't show up then a charge of £25. 00 per head is made... this amount then goes to the sponsors to reimburse their cost.

If I organise any event these days then no booking is confirmed until payment is received... no refunds are given.

If you suggest an event suddenly everyone wants to come ....until you ask for money...its amusing to hear all the excuses

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2006, 09:15:37 »
Oh I am so glad my kiddies party days have gone by!  ;)

If any of find Lynne Truss' new book "Talk to the Hand" - have a read.  It is great and really makes you wonder about our bad mannered and mouthed society!

I for one always reply and expect a reply.  Always write thank you notes and again would expect one (or a phone call - I'm even ok with an email!!!) and I encourage my kids to write them too.

And the reason why nobody wants to organise events now is probably because of all the people who never turn up! ;)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 11:28:56 »
I agree with you moonbells - it has always been my belief that PC is just good manners.  It is only a few crackpot people who go a bit too far with PC.  The trouble is papers like the Mail give them far too much air time and make them seem far more  important than they actually are - it's a bit like their 1980s campaign to expose lefty vicars - can anybody remember that one?

Just because I hate it so much I will reaffirm that the Mail supprted Hitler (complete with prejudices against Jewish people leading to the 'final solution') and campaigned on behalf of Moseley.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 11:30:52 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 21:22:06 »
They haven't changed either. I remember the 'lefty vicars' thing well, along with the poisonous campaigns against David Jenkins when he was Bishop of Durham. The 'lefty' stuff was no more left-wing than Harold Wilson's Labour Party, with very few exceptions. I'm a lot further left than that lot ever were; if you're not a conformist, you won't make a vicar!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2006, 08:17:40 »
Anyone else seen this article? Perfect timing! Anyone would think the BBC reads A4A... 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4245754.stm

I love the last line...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2006, 09:30:05 »
I think it's where they probably get most of their ideas for articles, Moonbells, we do cover several subjects.. ;D

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2006, 19:07:34 »
Not anymore we don't - the two frivolous conversation threads have been locked by Dan  :(

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2006, 19:13:33 »
Great article Moonbells :)

A case could be argued for our lack of manners by not sticking to topic in Thread Discipline :(
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2006, 19:17:31 »
Yes, but we all minded our manners by sticking to not having a topic in 'please delete'  Also, cannot see anybody being guilty of the bad manners alleged in Dan's message at the top of the board.  I know we veered slightly off topic in the discipline thread and this piqued some people but the arguements were on principle and not personal.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2006, 19:19:14 »
You're more than welcome to come to the moon, Ady..... we're insisting on good manners from both Russ and the goat....

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2006, 19:22:15 »
I take your point Ady, suppose its all in the eye of the beholder, more folks thought it was wrong than didn't I guess and Dan has to keep the masses happy.
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal