Author Topic: Thread Discipline  (Read 37442 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Thread Discipline
« on: January 01, 2006, 19:44:20 »
Hi All,

I have noticed that over time thread discipline has deteriorated, with more and more threads becoming general 'talking shops'.

Whilst I understand how easy it is for this to happen, it does make things rather difficult to follow some times.

Can I therefore ask that we try to keep 'on topic' with threads, and try to keep general chit chat in The Shed, and The Watershed.

Hope that is clear, and you don't think I am an ogre!

Cheers

Dan

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
Re: Thread Discipline
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 23:19:12 »
Nah your not an ogre, Ive never heard of a computer literate ogre, especially such a patient one :D
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:10:08 »
I agree wholeheartedly with you comments Dan, and that is a genuine opinion, I am not creeping to the teacher !!! I have noticed this over a period, but felt it was not for me to comment. I think some light hearted banter is part of what this site is essentially about, but there comes a line as you have pointed out, and serious threads are being marred.

Thank you very much for addressing the issue.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:32:04 »
Was I the only one to receive this message as a pm? :-[

I didn't think I went off topic too often but I'll make sure I don't do it again :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 09:47:25 »
Yes, Jess, it was just you, and I'm so disappointed in you...... >:(

NOooooooooooooo  it was all of us, sweetpea!! Don't panic!!  ;D ;D ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 09:51:33 »
Phew!!!!! ;D Thanks Lottie :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 10:06:26 »
Oh no it wasn't  Lots!!!!  I didn't get a PM from Dan  ;D ;D ;D I always knew I was invisible, told you before.  I agree with Dan though. 

;) ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 10:46:48 »
Good move Dan. I am not against chit chat, but find it a little bothersome sometimes having to trail through it to get to usefull replies to a topic, particularly if i am short of time.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 10:51:40 »
SORRY, Dan!

And someone has to store all the waffle.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 11:47:33 »
Yes I do agree Dan.  It is natural that things go off topic a little but I have noticed it happening quite a lot now. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's notice.  I will be more disciplined too.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 14:30:46 »
Duly noted Dan..............Sorry :o
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 15:00:23 »
Was I the only one to receive this message as a pm? :-[

I didn't think I went off topic too often but I'll make sure I don't do it again :)

Dan pm'd me too. I think we all got it or at least should have.

Perhaps what we could all do if we are starting to wander off topic would be to continue in the shed/watershed with a link for followers to follow?

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 15:22:04 »
OK Dan...have smacked wrist.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 15:24:02 »
 got one may be I'm a chatter ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 15:41:51 by TEL »

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 16:39:27 »
I generally plant them at around 6 inch spacing with canes although when it's a Grand Prix weekend I listen to more classical than modern music. On the other hand, you can always use roofing felt.

Sorry, I may have strayed a little from the point of this thread.  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 16:43:21 »
 ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 17:27:32 »
I think you have to look at it from Dans point of veiw. Lots of chit chat makes the forum bigger and more difficult to manage. He has a difficult enough time keeping things going for us as it is.

I am not saying dont chat just try and keep it to places like the shed and leave the other topics a little freer.

I think the idea of spliting topics or at least starting a linked chat thread in the shed is a good. Just needs a little dicipline thats all.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 17:37:42 »
I'm not dissenting here. I can see that the place needs to be kept tidy. And it's your forum, Dan.

I'd just suggest that life/gardening isn't linear, like threads are, but organic - spreading like a web. So in a sense we're trying to get a square peg into a round hole here.

Take the digging thread which I know has hacked people off. (I think I got trolled a bit there, but whatever). One objection to digging is environmental. Environmental is political (unfortunately). So I guess it isn't too surprising we ended up where we did...

As for the general chit chat, waffle and nonsense - speaking as a major 'culprit', I think it was inevitable when things are slow outside. There's only so many times you can discuss what weeds taste good at this time of year. I imagine we'll all be too busy by March to gossip too much anyway?

I guess you want a busy board all year round Dan?

And do you actually want apologies?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 17:46:00 »
thread discipline??? oooer matron  ::) ::)

mahn best thread discipline (oooer) I ever saw was GW's amazing tapestries. really are fantastic GW and also the fact of a child recieving one on his 1st burfdaze. WOW for sure and LOL @ jesserve about "pm" for crying out loud you iz always going off topic u iz  ;D ;D ;D one minute we is all talking about the calcium defiency in carrots and in you come talking about your last holiday in las veas where you won dead oads and bought some ded serious bling.. or is the mushrooms beginning to kick in????  :D :D :D

getting back on topic .. stand by what i say that GW shows the best thread discipline and if u dont believe go look in da gallery fcol (for crying out loud.. tis the shed)

ozzy

:-* :-* :-*

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 17:55:04 »
Ha ha Oz. On the topic of general banter (which IS a sub topic of this thread !) may I remind everyone that there is a chatroom which is available all the time and enables people to have a lighthearted or serious natter on all imagineable subjects, and so perhaps free up the threads from some of the simple conversational issues which have started to invade. I am not suggesting that the chatroom should be used instead of the threads, it is just another facility which is available ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal