Author Topic: growing Alderman (aka tall) peas  (Read 10804 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re: growing Alderman (aka tall) peas
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 17:10:11 »
Found something in English, something about anti-trypsin factor, whatever that is.

"Slow cookers: Pulses must be soaked and boiled for 10 minutes before being added to a slow cooker, as they do not reach sufficiently high temperatures to destroy the toxins".
Here is the whole article: http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html

I'm still not sure if this applies to all bean and pea types.

Some more links with info: http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/real%20letters/ltr_greenbeans.html

http://www.zetatalk.com/food/tfood32a.htm

and a quote: Phytohaemagglutinin-L : the thing that makes raw beans toxic by binding to your gut. PHA-L exhibited a novel quaternary structure, which was shown to be important for binding plant hormones (cytokinines).

Which beans or peas? I don't know what to believe.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 17:27:12 »
INA,

I would not worry about eating raw beans and peas. I only grow peas for eating raw as I'm not keen on cooked peas. I've eaten raw peas since I was a youngster and the local greengrocer gave me peas to pod while my mother was buying her veg. I'm still here!!!

I was talking to a plot holder yesterday and we both said we could'nt wait
for summer and eating raw beans (all sorts) and peas from our plots. Most
people do it,

Regards, angle shades.
grow your own way

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 18:31:29 »
I did a bit of research on the eating of uncooked peas, french, runner and broad beans - it appears that basically, if they are tender, soft, green and easy to eat, pleasant to taste and so on, there isn't a problem with toxins.
The toxins (there are many types, some lectins) build up as the seeds mature and harden.
So, the rule is, if it's an effort to eat them (lots of chewing and a horrid taste) then don't.
Dried beans and peas can be eaten safely by soaking for 10 - 12 hours and boiling rapidly for at least 20 minutes. It is important to soak as well as to boil.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 18:58:38 »
I always discard the soak water too jen, as the lectins leach into it, and add fresh water to boil. Plants (including tall peas) love bean soak water!  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 20:07:13 »
That's it Jenny! Thanks. I remember now :-[(senior moment)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 13:39:31 »
That's a new one on me- I have eaten them raw, in smallish quantities, without any ill effects.  Anyone else know about this and why it might be so?

It was flagged up a while ago as also being an issue for those who "sprout" peas and beans (for salads etc). I believe it was found that the quantity is so small as not to be an issue (just someone using it as an arguement whay not to do something).

This is why dried peas + beans need soaking and cooking - the dehydration concentrates the toxin.

As far as I know, raw peas and beans (included "sprouted") are perfectly OK in the quantity most people eat them.
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 14:02:29 »
The one exception I think is the dried red kidney bean, which gets a bad press uncooked (and tastes pretty foul as a sprout!  ;D)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 16:29:48 »
"just someone using it as an arguement why not to do something".

I can't figure this one out, why would someone need and argument for why not to do something? Btw. I started this subject by stating that I read that kapucijners are unsafe to eat.
I feel it's always best to make an informed decision, the choice is anyone's.

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 22:48:24 »
a good tip is to satrt you peas of in the greenhouse in 3ft sections of half a drainpipe. put netting in the bottom , fill with compost and plant pease. when about 2 inch high transplant to ground. dig a little trench as deep as the drainpipe, take the netting out and slide staright into trench, job done
takes over your life doesn't it

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006, 23:03:35 »
Hey weedgrower, I tried this last year and got a mess of peas dropping out of the guttering ... now I know the trick is in the netting! Thank you - how good is this site!  ::) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal