Author Topic: Ideas how to make a path  (Read 16108 times)

Rita Garner

Ideas how to make a path
« on: January 02, 2006, 19:52:20 »
I have just started sharing a lottie and am tasked with making the dividing path.  Any ideas?  The one I have had so far is wood chips between log wired edging.  :-\

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Ideas how to make a path
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 20:08:36 »
Anything, but grass!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 20:19:31 »
There has been lots of discution about paths and I have progressed from carpets to weed suppressing material covered with woodchips, kindly delivered free by Halifax Tree Services.
I have heard of some sort of outdoor carpet that does not rot or fray,and is easy to take up in summer and shake. Has anybody had any experience of this? I would be interested in your opinion.

Rosemary

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 20:42:51 »
We are in the process of building a path ( started last autumn ). We got loads of pallets and put wooden steaks in the ground. Got some 2" x 4" planks and took the small planks off the pallets cut them in 1/2 and nailed them onto the planks. Is going to look great when we have finished and we are doing it all from scrap wood. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 21:38:49 »
There's a guy on my site with lovely grass paths, but he does put a fair bit of work into keeping them nice. There are all sorts of ways; I'm building a brick path down the centre of my plot but it's taking years. Then there are the original ones, probably built just after the site opened in 1840. They're concrete, and far too close to the hedges. When I lived in Cornwall, we used ashes from the coal fire.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 21:42:15 »
I have one long grass path!!  :o Love it!! Bomb up it with a push mower once a week and it's no bother....or am I missing something...more than likely.. :-\
Paths across are just old bricks I found laying around.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 23:34:10 »
Most of my paths are either wooden pallets or slabs. A few small areas are large stones ...

I detest the idea of grass, it is always needing attention, but some people like it ...

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 06:59:26 »
A good well maintained grass path can look superb, the main problem is that during the winter months they can become very slippy and muddy with use.

I have managed to slab my main path and find it much easier now

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 13:59:00 »
The paths I inhereted are grass, but they are in for the chop, they are pure couch.  >:(

I am going to use pine needles.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 14:21:08 »
I think I put this in another post somewhere, but anyway, remember that people start laying new patios etc in spring, especially around Easter time, so then is the ideal time to go scavenging for free old slabs. Quite a few of my paths have been made like this.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 20:35:23 »
The path I inherited up the centre of my plot was just a reservior of couch as well, and it was obvious that couch was spreading out from it across the rest of the garden, much of which had become a mat of the horrible stuff. That's gone now. I badly need the centre path though, which is why I'm making the brick one.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 20:43:22 »
think im going to get a load of weed sheet and just lay that.

wondering though how i will go on for it being hard wearing??

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 16:43:37 »
Another thread mentioned keeping cardboard for paths. Doesn't this just go soggy and fall apart? And how do you keep it in place?

Yes, I haven't a clue what I'm doing :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 16:57:27 »
I am using worn rubber conveyor belts scrounged from work.
Take about 15 seconds to lay / roll out! - point in the direction you want and kick instant path 25'X 2'.

If you know someone who works in a quarry etc may well be worth asking companies pay to dispose of these!

Ian

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 17:22:36 »
My main path is concrete slabs with a stretch of rather old, slightly crumbly and very crooked concrete at one end.

On either side of this main path we have split the plot into beds about 4 feet wide and 10 feet(ish) long. These are separated by grass paths which are pretty and colourful. Maintenance consists of mowing, strimming or scything on a pretty irregular basis.

The new plot is just totally overgrown so I think we'll probably use existing grass as the paths - once we start cutting it the weeds will be controlled if not defeated ;) allowing us to concentrate on getting beds ready for planting.

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 18:18:34 »
Once we edge our beds,  we sieve the soil to get alot of the stones out for the carrots and parsnips to go in, this was then toss between the beds.  so after 3 yrs, as we move down the plot. each path is built.  a nice stone path and top off witht he wood chippings the local council provide.  just barrowing up the hill to the plot was the only real work...lol
of course we had all the summer to get our plot in shape for this year.

I remember a friend made a fatal mistake by taking some gravel of the local each, which is wrong in the first place, but the salt in the mix killed his garedn...lmao.  teach him
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 19:03:40 »
I use a bed system with 18" earth paths between the beds (topsoil went onto the beds). I just hoe off the weeds if they pop up. The large paths up the length of the allotment (3 ft wide) are weed suppressing fabric, protected with chippings.
If I can get it free, I'm going to try a thick layer of HAY over all the paths this year, as recommended in my Booke - apparently it protects well, doesn't let the weeds grow through, and keeps soil cool and moist in summer. If not, leaves and hops, which I'll retrieve and add to the compost at the end of the season. If it doesn't work, I'll try another Booke!  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 20:07:04 »
I've been using 18-inch paths, and may have to rethink, as that's very narrow when you've got veg on either side; it can soon disappear under sprawling potatoes, for instance.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 20:44:32 »
YEp, mine are 2 feet and my toes still dangle in the next bed when I'm kneeling planting or weeding.  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 21:41:38 »
I found a site selling hessian at £1.50 a metre - cheaper than weed suppressant and biodegradable, I think. It's that stuff you nail on the underside of sofas, so it would be reasonably hardwearing - more than cardboard, anyway  :) . Has anyone tried this?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal