Author Topic: Ideas how to make a path  (Read 16107 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ideas how to make a path
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 00:01:38 »
Are you sure it's hardwearing? How much wear does it get underneath a sofa?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 08:54:28 »
Thank you Robert, you're right - I do find myself edging around the broccoli so as not to tread on the broadies in the next bed.
You've encouraged me to go ahead and make the paths a little wider (2 ft) which would make the beds 3 ft wide. Not much of a loss, cos the beds can be planted so intensively - and I'll be able to reach the middles so much better than with the 4 footers.
For me, this is one of the benefits of not making permanent paths or bed edges - if you want to make changes or experiment, it's easy to do without major building works.
Only problem will be administering brandy to lottie neighbours swooning at the 'waste of growing space'  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 11:58:35 »
Robert, hessian (or jute) is also used for things like bags and sacks, which is why I'm guessing it's hardwearing. Didn't mean to give the impression that all the furniture in my house is upside-down  :D. If I can find any locally, rather than mail order, I'll get me a strip and try it out. It looks natural too  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 13:04:04 »
I use anything which can be lifted up easily (mostly carpet) with a few rotting plants underneath. This way I can tempt slugs off the beds and kill them every week when I peel the carpet back.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Scufftastic

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 13:19:11 »
On my plot, I've gone for weed suppressing fabric covered by wood chippings.  However, the weeds have now starting growing in the chippings.  They're only little annuals, but still unsightly!  Am I just unlucky when it comes to weeds, or has anyone else found this?

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 14:23:26 »
Since I've just spent the morning digging out creepimg buttercup and couch, I've decided my grass paths will have to go. Off to the turf stack with them.

Carboard doesn't really work too well -I've tried it.

I'm used the pruning from the leylandii in some places -certainly ok over winter.

I'm not sure what to use on the paths I create -bare earth turns to plasticene here -although it does tend to stay bare and can be hoe-d. Do bark chips work ok -I'd have though that you got a nice growing medium after a few years?

Jeremy

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 15:28:25 »
I'm going to try a thick layer of HAY over all the paths this year

Whoops, I meant STRAW. Hay will just grow a lovely crop of weeds!  :-[

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 18:41:46 »
I may be wrong but I don't think the hessian used under furniture is the same quality material as the stuff used for sacking. From what I remember, it's a much looser weave, and tears fairly easily. It may be worth a try though.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 18:46:02 »
To my mind, things like hessian and bark chippings have one big disadvantage - they cost money! Maybe I'm just tight, but somehow, it's so satisfying to build paths etc for free  ;D
Me, I'm going to be out on the hunt for more discarded slabs in the spring...

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 18:52:13 »
I have no transport bar a bicycle, so I'm stuck with stuff that's luggable in a rucksack. What I'm thinking of I suppose is something that's biodegradable, lightweight, reasonably hardwearing, cheap, looks good, won't harm wildlife, and will make me a cup of tea in the morning :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 20:47:38 »
Maybe I'm just tight, but somehow, it's so satisfying to build paths etc for free  ;D
Me, I'm going to be out on the hunt for more discarded slabs in the spring...

alot of local authories are now shredding thier road side hedge trimmings and offer this to allotment holders.  ours deliver a very large tipper load every 6 months.  and though it has been there all summer.  suddenly the pile disappeared in the last 4 weeks.  the mud paths to sticky maybe....lol
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 22:58:19 »
My paths are wooden edged with weed supressing fabric and the bark shreddings on top that are free from the Council.  Have to say when any weeds start showing through I just put more  shreddings on top.  We had loads of grass on our plot including  as paths but  we are gradually digging them out, especially as ours were  couch grass. busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2006, 15:44:21 »
I have been puzzling over the same problem of how to create durable paths and it has only just occured to me that I have access to loads of coal fire ash and cinders which is exactly what used to be used many years ago. They need edging as they are not good for the soil but if you have enough of them you can just keep putting them on layer upon layer and eventually you end up with a solid weed free path. :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2006, 17:24:33 »
Now that's what I CALL an idea Larkspur, will def. experiment with cinders (possibly near the pumpkin patch? ::))

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2006, 17:36:00 »
Supersprout, the only problem that I can see is that you need a good and constant supply. I can get mine from a coal fired steam engine in a museum. Cheers.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 20:03:08 »
We used to use them in Cornwall. They make a really good path but you do have to keep adding the stuff.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 20:28:24 »
At the moment my paths are couchgrass. Not really sure how to deal with this? Should I edge my beds with planks, but how deep would these have to go to stop the couchgrass invading the beds? Or should I get rid of the grass and use something else? Hmm - just adds to the long list of jobs I need to do on my lottie!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 22:29:02 »
Get rid of the couch and use something else; resow if you want grass paths. It's not worth keeping it, as if you do you'll have trouble with the stuff invading your beds for evermore.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2006, 19:37:01 »
i use wood chippings nice and thick but you do need to have some boundary such as raised beds. the chippings eventually rot away but they are free to keep topping them up. grass - a nightmare and i hugely resent spending time on paths instead of beds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal