Author Topic: Verbena Bonariensis help!  (Read 2595 times)

Dan 2

• Acre
Verbena Bonariensis help!
« on: January 02, 2006, 17:52:21 »
Unlike the question down below about Vebena, I've decided to keep it outside and cut it right down so theres only about 15cm sticking up, (Untechnical language I know!).Have I done the right thing? Please help! Im very   ???,

Dan :-)

undercarriage plan

Re: Verbena Bonariensis help!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 18:30:34 »
Hey Dan, hope you don't mind me asking, but what is that in your avatar pic? Or do I need glasses? Mmmm.. Oh yes...Verbenas, I cut mine back in Spring, and they come back no probs, I wouldn't worry cos they tend to self seed everywhere anyway, just be careful when weeding and don't pull up the little ones.. It's bound to turn up somewhere!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 19:03:24 »
Unlike the question down below about Vebena, I've decided to keep it outside and cut it right down so theres only about 15cm sticking up, (Untechnical language I know!).Have I done the right thing? Please help! Im very   ???,

Dan :-)

I think you should be okay in your part of the country Dan. I know of other people who cut their VB back after flowering and they have grown back the following year. The most important thing is protecting the root with a mulch if you are in a colder part of the UK (eg Scotland), leaving the top growth does help a bit but I don't think it's essential as far south as you are. Keep your fingers crossed and let us know, you should know by June if it's survived.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 19:08:41 »
Mine is in flower now  :o - World's gone mad !!
Get with the beat Baggy

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 19:13:27 »
Blimey Bags! Mind you, I still have a lovely red rose out the front, looked very strange with snow on it..

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 19:25:52 »
Mine is in flower now  :o - World's gone mad !!

Mine were still in flower mid November, think if the frost hadn't got them they'd still be flowering now.

In previous years mine were finished in October.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 20:29:03 »
Sorry, have only just replied, Its a green hellebore 'key lime pie' with snow on it!  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 20:50:36 »
You know, Dan, Now you've said that, it's screamingly obvious!! Wards thought it was a sponge... ::)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 07:27:48 »
Sponge????!!!!!????? ??? ??? ;D ;D

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 07:33:20 »
I've now changed it to a winter jasmine to make it clearer!  :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 09:59:03 »
Nice flower shaped yellow sponge Dan.... ;D Oooo yes, how's the Verbena bonariensis... :-\

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 11:14:58 »
Well...Green stems with purple summer flowers...what about yours.... :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 13:57:28 »
Well that's me of course... ::)  ;D On my days off, I just loll about the place in a winsome kinda way....
Actually it's from a really, really famous artist and I have a complete mental block at the min, rather than my normal 60% begins with a T...mmm........And Wards has been cleaning again...And Verbena Bonariensis....

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 14:21:38 »
Oh yes..verbena  ::)  :) :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 14:35:16 »
Nope, it's driving me mental now!! Or more so.. ::) I'm at me mum's. supposed to be digging and it's pouring with rain.. :( I have the prints at home, I'll check, cos I know it's worrying you.... ;D
My Verbena seems fine Dan, thank you for thinking of it.... :) How's yours?

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 17:43:31 »
chilled out...literally  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 18:08:32 »
And headless, by the sounds of it.....poor thing....are you racked with guilt yet? ;D

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 15:57:37 »
Nope! well I did  :'( a bit... ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 18:27:41 »
I dont cut my verbenas down until spring when the worst of the frosts are over, just as I do with penstemons.

My verbenas though just dont seem to stop to rest even in winter. The flowers and seed heads last a long time, and given a mild spell they might even start growing again from lower down the main stem as well as from the base of the plant. Growth i might add that seems remarkably tough and hardy. On some plants there is so much new grwoth come cutting back time it is hard to know where to prune them!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal