Author Topic: Books - some suggestions please?  (Read 1550 times)

Yellow Petals

Books - some suggestions please?
« on: December 30, 2005, 20:53:38 »
I wasn't sure whether to put this in The Shed or Watershed.  Come to think of it, I may have even asked this before!

I like to read a lot but I'm not a girly, love story kind of reader.  I like real life stories, biographies, history, true crime, blah blah. 

I've spent a fair amount of time lately reading books which have got me down a wee bit (albeit temporary, I know)  A succession of books about Auschwitz (that as well as watching the re-runs of the BBC series) has made me feel awful (as well as giving me sleepless nights!) and I just wondered if anyone here can recommend to me some nice, funny, lighthearted reads to jolly me along again? 

I'm pretty sure somebody here recommended a book by Derek Nimmo some time ago but I can't remember the name of it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 22:28:32 by Yellow Petals »

undercarriage plan

Re: Books - some suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 21:31:05 »
I'll lend you my planting plan and seed list for a giggle, Sam!!  ;D ;D ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 23:55:33 »
YP.  I haven't read it yet but I think Alan Bennets book which has been on sale a couple of months now will be funny.   I listened to extracts from it on  the late programme on Radio 4 and enjoyed listening to his tales.  He is a funny man.  He was a way with words!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 00:23:22 »
yp. When you listed your likes I thought I had typed the list ;D Your taste in books is identical to mine.
I am just about to start reading Extreme. Sharon Osbourne biography (don't know quite what to expect in that) also  Next to you..Gloria Hunniford, that will probably be a little sad. Both are Christmas present from family.
Have you ever read Lena Kennedy? I suppose she appeals to me because she was brought up in the East End of London , although not true stories they are drawn from her memories.
These days (other than presents) due to finances I no longer buy books but we have an excellent new library.
Hope you find something you like.. What about Danny La Rues auto biography?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 00:35:00 »
Old, but amusing and heartwarming, 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff.

Chick Lit, but better than most....How does she do that? by Alison Pearson.

Not cheerful, but if you like Patricia Cornwell type stuff try Karin Slaughter....amazing!!

Hope this helps!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 11:21:15 »
Anything by Tom Sharpe.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 11:39:02 »
Tom Sharpe is best read on the bus or as I did when I went to visit my husband in hospital.  He was unconscious when I got there having had an op.  I had to kill about an hour or so before I could catch a bus home so I got out me Tom Sharpe.  I think it was The Wilt Alternative and he had a contretemps with a rose bush when drunk.  The nursing staff thought I was sobbing at the side of my old man's sick bed but I was laughing, choking and guffawing with my hankie stuffed in my mouth to stifle my outbursts.  Tears rolling down my cheeks etc. 

I had Sue Townsend's new Adrian Book (Weapons of mass destruction) and that's making me laugh the moment.  I have an as yet untouched Tom Sharpe which I'll read after Allotment Tales and me Ade Mole  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 12:36:16 »
Yes Wardy I can visualise that  :o :o

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 13:40:40 »
Yellow Petals.

Judas my brother, by Frank Yerby.
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 13:43:55 »
I don't tend to read much light stuff but Willie Russell's The Wrong Boy amused me.  Andrea Levy's Small Island, whilst a serious novel, has it's lighter side too.  Only other thing I can suggest is the Private Eye annual.   ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal