Author Topic: london birdies  (Read 1323 times)

daveandtara

• Acre
london birdies
« on: December 28, 2005, 18:41:23 »
recently started feeding birds in our garden in view of the awful winter we're s'posed to be getting.
have a group of starlings who come to entertain several times a day with their squabbling. (they make sophie giggle so  ;D)
we've been shocked to see how quick they polished off the fat balls and we've been cooking up our own recipes.
do you think we could include guinnea pig food? after all, it is mainly seeds and corn.
and what other birdies might we get here in london? (apart from the bloomin' pigeons)
and does anyone know how to tempt sparrows?
thanks, Tara xx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: london birdies
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 20:41:54 »
Sparrows eat anything going; the problem used to be how to avoid having too many of them on your bird table. As long aas they've got somewhere to perch, you'll probably attract any you've got around.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 20:50:34 »
D & T, never put any meat product or mixture on your bird table.
Yes the hamster food will be fine, once starlings find your food you will never be rid of them such greedy feeders. Good luck with whatever comes your way. ;D ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 21:22:12 »
Hi D&T.  I'm in north London and I also have a family of starlings who keep me amused.  I have a robin, saw a blue tit yesterday, see the odd blackbird and sparrow and regularly have rooks and magpies flying over although rarely landing.  I hang peanuts, wildbird seed, fat blocks and apples from the Forsythia and garden organically.  There's lots of useful stuff in the 'missing birds' thread here.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal