Author Topic: Herbs-Garden-Patch  (Read 2534 times)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
Herbs-Garden-Patch
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:29:13 »
This season really hope to begin with a Herb [ Patch]

My Questions: is it better to keep the herbs in one Group!!

Thinking of planting in a sort of Raised Bed!!   

Had lots of Swops.....can I believe mingle the Herbs  between the Flower Garden.

Look forward to your ideas and suggestions
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Herbs-Garden-Patch
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:18:36 »
I have kept my herbs in large pots, purely because I have not really decided where I wanted my herb beds ... also the amount of herbs needed is fairly small, so they seem happy in pots. I also have a permanent herb garden outside our kitchen, with rosemary, chives, lavender, curry plant, mint and lemon balm. It is a bit untidy and straggly now, but is lovely in the summer, all the smells waft over the garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 11:01:12 »
I have some herbs in my flower borders at home, the hardy shrub like herbs really, then tender or more frequently used I have in large pots close to the house so I can get at them easily, then herbs I want loads of, like basil, dill and parsley, I grow at the allotment.  I have to grow chives in pots thanks to the dreaded white rot I have on the allotment.  The great thing with herbs is they are so pretty in their own right, so blend in very well with both flowers and veggies.  Just remember, you want them easily accessable so you can nip out and pick them as soon as you want them.  Oh, and keep mint seperate, preferably in a large bucket as it will spread and take over the world!!  ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 11:10:49 »
On the subject of keeping herbs in one group, in the early days I did that without realising that some need different conditions, i.e like Rosemary and sage and lavender like it dryish, and basil and coriander like it moist.
So I now have them in different places. Some are in the back garden beds amongst the perennial flowers and shrubs, like chives near the roses and rosemary and lavender on the sunny side, and I grow the others over on the allotment.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 11:20:56 »
That will explain why my rosemary and lavender have gone mad in a brick raised bed in my garden ... the chives seem happy there too

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 11:21:27 »
I have all of my herbs in one bed, but the bed is sub-divided by gravel boards into different areas, so that certain parts can be moist or dry. Acid or alkaloid etc.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 12:00:35 »
Thanks for your Ideas and Suggestions......Pots seem the
Order of the Day....or small Amounts... 2006 is an Experimental
Exercise....so nice to get it right....Close by Right outside the
Front door.

Yes...Would like some mint in a Bucket
Parsley is my Favourite....but never tried it...will in 2006

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 12:28:27 »
You may need a whole bed for parsley then ...

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 12:34:58 »
And don't forget that herbs are beneficial to growing your veg.  Logically herbs may benefit from veg as much as the other way round!  :)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 18:27:44 »
I use thyme all the time  ;D  So I grow it by the door in a terracotta pot.  It's getting a bit bald now so must get some more started  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 18:39:27 »
Thanks Wardy ;D

Like I said I think Pots seem to be the Thing..... ;)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 19:00:32 »
Any tips for growing thyme Wardy? Keep buying it, soon seems to die off whatever I do with it. Even tried to grow some from seed last year, no luck!
I'm planning a herb patch on my lottie this year to supplement the pots on my balcony. Will include things like sorrel there, and plant out a small bay tree currently in a pot. Really like to see beds edged with loads of parsley - but have never managed it myself.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 22:03:28 »
Hallo Periwinkle, I should try to divide the roots in April, from plants 3 years old. Get some roots + foliage, put the little plants in the ground and they will grow.
Cut thyme in the summer after flowering.
I clip the foliage often, the more you do, the more the plant is growing.
( I cut my thyme heavily back 3 times a year)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 22:11:35 »
I struggle with thyme too, perhaps it needs a haircut. I have it in a massive pot now, by the greenhouse, so I can keep a better eye on it.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 08:58:01 »
Some interesting Concepts  coming along....I think Im going to  Start with Pots.....But as Derek said Maybe a Row Of Parsley.....have a a fine Selection of Swops so can Plant  Three Different Sorts.

Do you sow Direct into Potting Compost/ or a Mix of Potting Compost and Sand/ or any other!!

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 09:12:15 »
Just to but in with a quick word on rosemary....be mean to it in March and hack it back as hard as you dare....you'll get a stronger taste/aroma and it wont go all vile and leggy....also, golden oregano - easiest herb in the world! - always found rosemary better in the ground than in a pot...

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 10:51:25 »
Collenemp ;D

THanks very much for the  info....Gratefully recieved 8)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 11:03:14 »
On the allotment, my sage and thyme are planted in large boxes filled with old growbag material. A trace of BF&B was throw in. They seem happy with this environment. In my garden, the rosemary, mint, lemon balm and chives were just thrown into a thin soil bed on top of a rubble base, in a raised brick bed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal