Author Topic: Flowers - for cutting  (Read 3928 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Flowers - for cutting
« on: December 26, 2005, 09:54:54 »
I'm not too much of a "flowers" person, growing mostly veg & fruit on the allotment, and shrubs & perennials in the back garden.
I grow usually Gladiolus and annual Cosmos over on the allotment for cutting but fancied something a bit more exotic this year. I have no glasshouse, but can provide some early protection in cold frames. Any suggestions and advice from those who've done this?

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Re: Flowers - for cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:13:29 »
Think you must have read my mind Jennym, I was talking to OH last night about our plot and planning where to grow what and we decided to put a small area over to flowers to cut, like you I like to grow plants which I can eat, or use medicinally so am I little in the dark about what to grow to cut.  8)

Will watch this thread with interest :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 13:37:18 »
I will also be following thread. Really really want to grow flowers for cutting.(mainly for cemetery) have already received seeds which have been kndly sent to me by friend on forum.. Regards Lorna.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 14:54:31 »
Well, it's my first season of really attmpting this, so I've planted daffs and tulips around the PT....and just hurled loads of wild flower seeds all round it, I'll take a pic if/when they appear. Last saeson I had dahlias dotted about, lavender and loads of marigolds. I think it looked really pretty and I had loads of flowers from them all. Ooo yes, and I shove any roses over there that I don't have room for in the garden....

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 15:05:00 »
I too am a total novice at flowers, but I think I will maintain domestic harmony by taking cut flowers home. So are gladiolus and cosmos seeds, as I will try and keep things simple by avoiding bulbs ...

Derekthefox :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 15:39:07 »
I don't have room to grow flowers for cutting but if I did, I'd go for scented ones every time.  Freesias, Sweet Williams, Sweet Peas and Oriental Lilies would top my list.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 16:04:53 »
This year I grew some flowers for the house, they were wonderful and I had flowers virtually all spring through to autumn. I grew sweetpeas, gladioli, daliah, lillies, cosmos, cornflowers and opium poppies. Will definitely be growing flowers again next year. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Badger1

• Not So New ...
    • Badgers
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 19:02:16 »
Well you learn something new every day. I'd have thought you get arrested for growing opium poppies. :-[
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 19:52:57 »
I don't think they're quite the same as the Afghan sort, and they wouldn't produce much opium with our weak northern sunlight anyway. They've always been perfectly legal.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 20:03:37 »
And of course sunflowers are great for cut flowers, especially all those lovely variations of colour that you can get. :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 21:52:27 »
Despite their apparently being easy to grow, I always seem to struggle with sunflowers ...

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 21:55:12 »
Have you tried the branching varieties Derek? They seem easier, if you can get past the slug attack stage, and when you cut one flower off it seems to sprout another to replace it which is great for a succession of flowers for the house. :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 21:55:52 »
hOW ABOUT SOME GOLDEN ROD, OR LOVELY GLADIOLI. OR MONTBRETIA.?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 22:34:52 »
Georgie. Have already got sweet Williams, have got seeds for sunflowers.
Rosebud, golden rod sounds good for my use. Are they easy to grow from seed or is it best to buy plug plants. I am determind this year to have some cut flowers instead of my usual fu*hsias and geraniums..
Have got some smashing seeds that friends on forum have sent me and  a great help has been that most  "givers" have kindly given me info as to when and where to  sow/plant.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 15:26:56 »
Severeal options come to my mind, depending on what you like. Roses are pretty tough, sweat peas work well as cut flowers too. Toadflax for something really wild, and the plumes of ornamental grasses as something special.
Happy Gardening

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 16:35:12 »
Lavatera is nice and nicotiana and scabiosa.
Zinnia , peony, calendula, cut when fully open.
Bleeding heart when 4 or 5 florets are open.
All these flowers are easy to grow, I think..

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 17:09:54 »
WilliamO Not very fond of roses in the garden. Love sweet peas, will try again haven't had much joy with them so far,

Lady Cosmoas I removed my lavatera, couldn't keep up with it :) I do have one lovely peony, the common red one. I planted 2 Bleeding heart last year (present form daughter) longing for them to get bigger with more florets..
I just hope I will be able to post some pics in the coming year of my successes. Regards Lorna.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 17:20:51 »
Lady Cosmos, I'm pretty sure it was you who sent me some cosmos seeds in a seed swap last year. Just wanted to say that it was your seeds that I grew this year and the flowers were fantastic, thanks :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 17:26:40 »
By scrolling through this lot, I can come up with a list of possible flowers then, thanks everyone ...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 17:32:14 »
Jesseveve, how do I recognise branching varieties of sunflowers, remember I am  totally lost here ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal